R61 is so slow......?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by faisalsiddiqui, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faisalsiddiqui

faisalsiddiqui Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just recently got my R61 and i have the following configuration.

14"
    T9300
    3GB RAM
    160 GB 7200RPM HDD
    nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
    Vista Home Premium

After having gone through a thousand threads and seeking advice number of times, i had finally settled on this configuration. To my mind this was going to be a blazing fast PC as i already own a HP presario laptop which comes with T2350 & 2GB memory and it works pretty fast, so i was petty sure that the configuration on R61 is going to be as fast as anything. However, to my sheer disappointment, my R61 runs so slow that i feel like crying.

I then went through some more threads and decided on doing a clean install but to make it less of a hassle i used the Base Software Administration ( I am a student and am having my Mid-Term exams from next week and can't waste too much time on this). I tried to install as less software as possible from the options that were presented to me during recovery. However, still my computer is super SLOW.

I need some help here, I have tried to remove programs from startup as well (only those i was sure I should remove, but i still have some programs running, of which i am not sure i should remove or not?) I have defragmented my hard disc using jkdefrag, I have used a professional cleaner to clear of all temporary files if any (Windows Washer from webroot), I have also used a registry cleaner (Registry Mechanic) and I don't know what else to do.

I have already wasted more than one day from my precious exam days on installing all my software and putting my data on this computer and therefore I don't want to waste any more time doing a clean install from Stallen's thread but I am sure may beome uninstallation of programs or control of the startup programs should help. Here, i'd like to add that my computer takes like forever during both startup and shutdown also..

Just to provide some information..
    I have the following thinkvantage software installed.
    Access Help
    Maintenance Manager
    Productivity Center Supplement for Thinkpad
    Thinkpad Power Manager
    Thinkpad UltraNav Utility
    Thinkvantage Active Protection System
    Thinkvantage finger Print Software

I have attached some screen shots from the startup programs and all the software installed on my PC just to provide more info.

Please advise...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      141.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      140 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      185.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Awesome laptops

Awesome laptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    have you got the dual core processor enabled sometimes they ship with it turned off apart from that have you got power mangement turned onto battery because that will underclock everything and make it slow

3. faisalsiddiqui

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, but how do i check if the dual core is enabled.
    Also, are you advising that i should turn off or uninstall thinkvantage power management?

4. erikiksaz

erikiksaz Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd say that you're asking for somewhat of a miracle without a clean format. Computer systems nowadays are just loaded to the brim with bloatware. No matter how much you think you removed, there's always plenty of leftover associations, files, and registry entries you probably didn't even know existed.

I say just wait on the system until you can give it a proper formatting.

5. faisalsiddiqui

Reputations:
    But at least there must be some way i can improve on the situation....
    and like i mentioned that i did re-install vista and left out most of the bloatware using the Base Software configuration utility.

6. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
  7. faisalsiddiqui

Reputations:
    Arkit3Kt i have seen a lot of your posts and you are very kind helping out people regardless of any concerns on wasting your valuable time.

Can you please advise me on what all entries i need to clear from my start menu in "msconfig" to ensure a better start and a general performance boost?

Thanks for your help and guidance.

8. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have almost the same config R61, and with a regular install fro mthe factory, even after uninstalling and slimming things down, it still felt very slow. I did a clean install of Vista and that improved things ALOT! However, I now have done a clean install back to XP and this thing is 10x faster especially with my more processor intensive/UI intensive apps.

So its fairly obvious even with you having a better HDD than me, that you need to clean install. I understand you might be busy, but take 3 hours out of a day/night and do it right, the clean way. You won't lose ThinkPad functionality, only gain in speed!

9. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll definitely help you along with the other board members.

Maybe you can start by posting a screenshot of your services.

Maybe I should do a factory restore and write up a guide of how to speed things from there. I know how people can't afford to do a clean install or are too intimidated to do one, I know I was. More people are used to just uninstalling stuff, which is good too. Just not the most ideal.

Clean installs are good though. Takes a lot of time and very careful direction following. But in the end, you'll have a system that takes FOREVER to slow down.

10. faisalsiddiqui

Reputations:
    Arkit3kt I have already added some screenshots in my first post in this thread , Can you kindly have a look at those and then advise me.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.