R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe Im wrong, but I think you dont have vbios in uefi version - thats why that box is unchecked in gpuz

2. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That check doesn't matter. I also have it unchecked and it still is working fine

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey killbillur! Nice to see you back! I'm guessing you took a few days to cool off from the PITA this upgrade has become for you.

To downgrade the BIOS, flash your machine with the bios from this link: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=RP3CC

That page even has instructions. Writing good instructions is one thing Dell consistently does well.

You can also run the BIOS flasher utility from Windows instead of having to prepare a bootable USB.

killbillur likes this.
  4. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Clamibot! Yeah I was so frustrated, actually still I am. Also I was taking care of stray kittens, and I got a friend who came from another city, that's why I couldn't manage to find time for my laptop's problems. I don't have any hope left but I'll try this BIOS downgrade and flashing vBIOS.

I don't know what causes my laptop to behave like this, first of all I can manage to use my TV monitor, it is turning on with Dell splash and I can use it with Windows environment, everything seems good to go so far. When I try to connect my LCDs, they go the same; LVDS has 8 beeps with a black screen, eDP has no beeps, and no backlight with a black screen. After that his brain gets confused I guess and when I remove the cables of LCDs I can't even use my TV monitor, I get a black screen on the TV as well. Before connecting the LCD panels I'm able to use the TV monitor. To be able to use the TV monitor again I have to remove almost every component like HDD, DVD-ROM, GPU, LCD panels' cables, and I have to connect my laptop to TV with HDMI. After that I get the Dell splash and "No bootable device found." error. Then I connect the HDD and the DVD-ROM to find bootable device which is Windows setup DVD for me. After that I do a fresh installation of Windows, then I am able to use my laptop with my TV monitor again. That's ridiculous! I don't know what causes these problems. I got tired for doing all over again.

By the way Clamibot where can I find BIOS flasher utility? Do you know any of it? I think using Windows while doing this downgrade it's better for me.

And I'd like to learn a little about flashing vBIOS. I got the folders from this link which you gave me Clamibot. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/
    (this one: MSI_N17E-G2_86.04.31.00.0C_non-GSYNC) but I don't know how I can flash the vBIOS. Thanks again!

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The BIOS flasher utility that can be executed from within Windows should be on that link I posted. There is a download file button that will give you the flasher utility.

As for flashing a VBIOS, there is a utility called Nvflash that will do that for you, and also can be run from within Windows.

killbillur likes this.
  6. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay, thank you so much Clamibot. I'll try it as soon as possible and keep you updated, I'm a little bit busy these days. I had a dream about this BIOS downgrade :D I was downgrading it to A14 and the eDP panel suddenly started to work and the splash screen became Alienware. I was so happy in my dream.:D

7. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oops! I think bricked the motherboard. I downgraded the BIOS to A14, it has been installed smoothly. Nothing changed though. But after that I wanted to enable the Legacy mode. And I got 8 beeps without LCDs connected, and no visuals on TV monitor either. I'm done with it! I've already lost my hope anyways.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do with the components I got? I'm pretty sure that most of them work but I'll be sure of it hundred percent.

8. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So after the BIOS downgrade, the eDP panel still didn't work?

You can try doing another BIOS reset to get an image to come up on one of the outputs, but it seems like you're really fed up with it not working in the first place. I'm sorry to hear you've experienced so much frustration with this. The Pascal GPU upgrades have just worked for a lot of us on these forums (with some effort of course).

If you are just too burned out by this whole ordeal, you can post parts for sale on the NBR marketplace (get price recommendations before doing this). I'd highly recommend exhausting all other options before selling your Ranger's parts though since your goal was to make your dream come true.

killbillur likes this.
  9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you still got your old GPU?
    If I was you I'd throw it back in and reinstall Windows and see if you can get your old system working again. You may need to do an NVRAM reset if you've messed something up in the BIOS. Then you can try to start from the beginning. It must be pretty frustrating though,
    I've lost track of this thread, sorry, but do you have the 60Hz and 120Hz display?

killbillur likes this.
  10. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So you say there is still hope for 8-beep error which is not happening because of LCD panels. It has started to happen after I changed the BIOS to Legacy. I thought I bricked my motherboard.

@Clamibot After I downgraded the BIOS I didn't connect eDP panel, I enabled the Legacy mode, which I regretted after. Then I couldn't do anything anymore. I try to connect old LVDS panel and every other components in original state. I got 8 beeps again because of the Legacy mode.

@Maxware79 Yes I got 60 hz and 120 hz LCD panels. NVRAM reset is BIOS reset that we do it by removing RAMs and insterting them again right? Or it's something else? Right now I can't do windows setups because of that 8beep error.