R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    killbillur likes this.
  2. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The different splash logos are most likely due to you not running a pure uefi boot, the only time that I saw different boot logos was when changing between legacy and uefi boots..

killbillur likes this.
  4. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmmm. I was able to check the BIOS with dell screen, it was shown as UEFI, fastboot, secure boot and legacy disabled. Is there a difference with pure UEFI and UEFI. You guys are using pure UEFI when talking. I'm curious. Maybe it's a BIOS version error, maybe it looks like it's UEFI but it isn't actually. Should I change it to Legacy with my old configurations?

5. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was it originally in legacy mode? If you have a UEFI windows installation and change your boot to legacy then I think you won't be able to boot to windows. Don't quote me on this as you might be able too and cant remember

6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your Windows install might not be done with GPT partition, I know that in the transition between BIOS and UEFI you could do some strange boot things and have UEFI on with an MBR boot.

Try installing Windows 10..

killbillur likes this.
  7. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use diskpart in command prompt as admin / if its mbr disk partition make it gpt / reinstall windows uefi

killbillur likes this.
  8. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Something just occurred to me this afternoon. I remember someone else having a black screen problem with the standard form factor 1070. It turned out to be a VBIOS issue.
    Link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/

Brother Striker1234 flashed his GPU with an MSI VBIOS and that fixed the issue for him. However, I'm still confused as to why your splash screen says dell instead of alienware. Whatever is causing that may be the issue instead.

If the legacy option ROM is enabled, you should see what looks like a jpeg image of an alienware alien head taking up almost the entire screen. In pure UEFI mode, there should be a splash screen that says alienware.

I'd still downgrade to BIOS A14 anyway since that'll give you a slight CPU performance uplift. Version A15 and up contain meltdown and spectre security patches that impact performance on older CPUs. Now of course security is important, but we're just gamers here so we don't need the best security possible. We want performance:D.

killbillur likes this.
  9. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's very true. I completely forgot about the vbios incompatibility issues that is sometimes present. Depending which card you have, will determine if you will have issues. If you have the standard MXM black PCB HP 1070 with a dell vbios then that card will most likely have a compatible vbios (1BA1)

killbillur likes this.
  10. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I already installed Windows 10, from the beginning of this upgrade it always was Windows 10.

I checked it, both my disks are on GPT.

Yeah it's MXM black PCB 1070, dell vbios 1BA1.

[​IMG]

Then I'll need to flash vBIOS maybe it's the issue but I'm still getting the Dell splash instead of Alienware, don't know why, as I said disks were on GPT, with Windows 10. I want to downgrade to BIOS A14 but I fear making everything messed up more before dealing with Dell-Alienware splash thing. By the way do you know or have a link about flashing vBIOS and downgrading the BIOS? Thanks for the answers by the way!