R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This just is not your day. We do have some very smart people on these forums who should be able to help though.

This situation is kinda like when my friends ask me for help when something goes wrong with their computers through text. The process definitely works best when I'm actually there with them.

You can inspect the cables thoroughly and see if there are any signs of damage. At least you have emergency BIOS recovery and the TV to act as your screen so the laptop is somewhat useful while we work through this silly issue.

killbillur likes this.
  2. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really really appreciate what you're doing for me! But I have a bad luck for these kind of situations. And you're right it's better to deal with these things in person. You're friends are so lucky to have you! By the way I tried to search the problem about the Alienware/Dell sign thing. There is nothing on the internet which is a global platform as you know. :D I'm the first one who experienced it ever. :D

3. Clamibot

Reputations:
    That's super crappy luck:(. That must be incredibly frustrating.

I have a hunch that flashing BIOS version A14 *might* help. You'll get slightly better CPU performance too. A17 has some crap that Dell added in for spectre and meltdown patches that reduces CPU performance a little. I haven't measured the difference, but it's probably around a 5% difference. Just a secondary benefit.

The main reason I suggest flashing BIOS version A14 is because that's the version I'm using, and my 1060 works great for me! Just one additional thing to try since that's a difference between our machines.

The good news is that the 1070 looks like it works based on what I've seen and read, but we gotta get rid of this weird screen issue.

4. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah it is frustrating too much. :( I want to do it but I'm a little bit scared of flashing BIOS, it's risky right? But maybe I can handle it, I don't know.

I didn't know that BIOS versions make the CPUs slower. I actually updated the BIOS to A17 myself. :D

5. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can easily downgrade by the method i provided i can also provide you the files

killbillur likes this.
  6. Clamibot

Reputations:
    My general rule of thumb is to keep using whatever BIOS version came with the machine or motherboard unless it's absolutely necessary to update. BIOS updates are supposed to bring improvements, but they can sometimes screw things up or decrease performance. If the firmware I'm using already works well, I don't see a reason to update it unless there's an obvious benefit in doing so. An example of a case I would perform a firmware upgrade would be if such an upgrade allowed me to plop in a newer CPU into my laptop, like how firmware updates on the Clevo P870xM laptops allow for a CPU upgrade (all the way from an i7 6700k to an i9 9900k).

The best way to help you fix the weird screen issue is to eliminate all differences between our laptops, or at least as many as we can. Mine works, so if we keep as many factors as possible between our Rangers similar, it will make it much easier to diagnose the root of the issue.

killbillur likes this.
  7. nicacapo

nicacapo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, sorry to hear you are having problems with your setup. Hope you can fix them.
    I am on A17 an no problems so far with the 1060.
    Hugs.

8. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was there in your shoes when doing the upgrade on my M17x R4. Computers are just sometimes hard to understand and complex machines. My problem was the the 120hz LCD screen had no backlight with 8 beeps. I searched and searched and searched for a solution until I had given up. I even filed a return for the screen on ebay until It occurred to me for some reason out of nowhere to set my boot from UEFI to Legacy (My 660 didn't support UEFI environment because it didn't have a GOP driver Vbios). It worked like a charm and lit right up. I had more problems too after I installed my 1070 but they were simple things. My point is that it might be a stupid setting in your bios holding you back. Just Give it some time, think and Just don't give up.

killbillur and Clamibot like this.
  9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sometimes putting everything back to how it was originally and starting from scratch can help. As you change this and change that and try different things you can mess up the order on how to get it right.

10. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the support. I'll try my best, and perform the methods that you've given me.

Crustieraxe01 likes this.