R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I checked it, it's already switched to UEFI. Actually it already has been.

2. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That probably means the laptop switched to optimus mode. If you can get into windows again, try installing the alienware OSD (on screen display) drivers for the R1 and use the Fn+F5 keyboard combination to switch to dGPU only mode. The OSD drivers are required for that keyboard combination to do anything. A message should pop up asking you to confirm the action when you press those keys.

After that, reconnect the eDP screen and see if it displays anything.

By any chance, can you upload a picture of what you see when your laptop starts up? There should be an Alienware splash screen, but you mentioned some kind of dell screen.

3. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    no it shouldn't be as for me it was legacy so i had to switch it back uefi and disable the fastboot and secure boot

4. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Of course, here you go. When I press the F2 button, I can see BIOS settings. All the settings seem okay.
    [​IMG]

By the way I managed to install the Windows properly, and insterted the 1070, and checked the BIOS if it's recognized. It's good to go. When I don't connect to the wifi it doesn't make any problems.

I'll do what you said Clamibot, but do you think I should install the modded driver for 1070? I fear that maybe it doesn't show up when I connect the eDP.

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No need to install the driver until you get an image to come up on the eDP screen. The graphics drivers won't be loaded until Windows starts loading anyway, so even having them installed won't affect anything at boot time. The black screen issue is unrelated to that. However if you had a black screen while booted into windows, now that could be a driver issue.

Also, that's so weird you have a dell splash screen. It should say alienware on it, although the Klipsch speaker part is present on the alienware splash screen as well.

Just out of curiosity, what BIOS version are you using? I'm running the stock A14 BIOS that came with my Ranger.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  6. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did what you said, pressed FN + F5 buttons, it said do you want to switch to graphics bla bla, restart is needed for that, then I pressed Yes. It restarted but I didn't get visuals on TV. Now I'm gonna connect the eDP panel. I don't feel like it's gonna work.

Edit: eDP panel didn't work.

7. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It didn't work as in the screen won't turn on or the backlight comes on and the screen is black again?

If it's the latter, I'm wondering if any BIOS newer than A14 has problems with Pascal cards on the Ranger. I think I saw you were using BIOS version A17. Can anyone else chime in on this?

8. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This time there is no backlight, but at the same time no beeps at all, black screen with no beeps. I tried the eDP panel before switching the dGPU, it goes the same. Do I have chance to corrupt all of the LCDs that have? Now I don't have the TV output anymore. I think it is the end of it.

9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's possible, but I think it's more likely that something else is being stupid. Try that BIOS reset one more time and see if that at least makes the eDP panel's backlight turn on. Remember to insert the RAM module before the laptop turns back on and not after:D.

10. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeap I did that too. No backlight no beeps and a black screen. I'm planning to take the LCDs, cables and the GPU to a computer repairman to test them if they are okay. Actually there is no one to understand the laptops properly in here, it's a small town. What the hell am I supposed to do with these expensive new parts? Sellers won't accept returns anymore. o_O I guess I can sell them in here. And now I think I'm gonna cry. :(

Edit: I've got the DELL screen on TV again.