R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When I connect the old LVDS panel it beeps 8 times. That's why I disconnected its cable and used the TV. I haven't been able to reinstall the windows unfortunately. I tried to install the Windows with the new GPU first, I was able to see the last steps of installation of Windows, then it disconnected. After that I tried it again using my old GPU, this time laptop shut itself while installing the Windows. I think all of my components or the cables have some problems, I can't think about them anymore, my brain and my hopes are crashed right now. I think I won't be able to make all of them work.

Edit: I removed the GPU, and there were no disconnecting display signals and I was able to reinstall the Windows properly.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you shut off your laptop, will it boot up to windows?

3. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I wasn't able to test it because intel display driver was installed automatically when I connect the Wifi, and immediately it disconnected from the TV.

4. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Reinstall again, but disable wifi so that doesn't happen

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So just to clarify, you were able to get an image on the TV with the 1070 installed without either the LVDS or eDP screen connected? The HDMI output is a fallback if no internal screens are connected, so that makes sense.

6. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes I got image with the 1070 without LCDs connected but after a while I lost the signal on TV and couldn't install the Windows. Same goes with my old GPU. Then I removed the GPU and I was able to install the Windows properly, but when I connected the wifi and it automatically downloaded the intel graphics card, and TV disconnected right after that. Now I tried the eDP panel again, this time there was no backlight, but no beeps. Do you think that I screwed up the motherboard? I tried the BIOS recovery, just the fans were running so fast, nothing happenned.

7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After windows installs the drivers, try pressing win+D if I'm not mistaken and then press enter.

8. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    that's exactly what happens in bios recovery i did it multiple times when i got 8 beeps worked fine for me you just have to wait until the laptop reboots itself

9. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have to disconnect the wifi, maybe I can download the drivers from my other laptop. I'll try it.

Oh, I haven't waited that long. I'll wait then.

By the way I hit the F2 button when I see the DELL sign when turning on my laptop, and I can managed to get BIOS settings.

10. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just do the recovery with touching anything once it's reboots go to bios and then switch it back to UEFI