R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    exactly.

2. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Theres one ribbon cable under gpu fan that has to be removed for removing palmrest.

does this mean you havent removed it?

3. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah there are 3 ribbon cables under the GPU fan (2 motherboard cables, 1 card reader cable), and only 2 of them are connecting the palmrest, one is that motherboard cable (the wide one) and the other one is card reader cable. I'm sure that I removed the card reader but I don't remember if I do the same for motherboard cable. Even if I forgot to seperate that motherboard cable, palmrest came off somehow because as I said I was able to remove the palmrest easily. After that maybe I forgot to wire the motherboard cable because as you know it came off without my notice. But soon I realized that it's not wired, I wired it for the next tries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CPU and GPU also their fans and heatsinks were not removed, neither phsically nor from the cables. They were connected.

4. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tried this BIOS recovery with my old LVDS screen, and without the GPU, HDD (but I didn't remove the SSD, I never removed it so far likewise the wireless card by the way). CPU, SSD, fans and only one RAM were insterted. No restarts no beeps, just the fans running so fast, and the power button's light flickering all the time. No visuals on the screen again. I think something is broken I don't know which one. Hope it is not the motherboard, actually hope none of them are broken. Why the hell it got so hard to deal with :( I was trying to be careful while replacing and connecting the parts, if I didn't try to be carefull I think I'd burn the laptop. o_O Should I try this recovery with the new eDP panel?

Edit: I managed to get visuals from the TV because I unplugged the LVDS cable from the motherboard, and connected the HDMI. At start there is a DELL sign, after that it says something I can't read what is written, quarter of them is not seen. It waits a little I think it tries to find the device and then there is a sentence I think it says "No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine". I pressed it but it starts again with the same DELL sign and these sentences. I haven't replaced the components, I will try it again after replacement.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  5. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's weird. Did you reset your bios? Because if you did then it most likely reset it to Legacy enviroment. Which is ehy it says no boot media found

killbillur likes this.
  6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would tear it all down, remove the GPU and the CPU from their socket/connectors, clean the GPU contacts with some IPA, re-seat the CPU and the GPU, and then try to boot again with only one RAM stick.

killbillur likes this.
  7. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can try what you say but right now I'm on to something. I placed all of the components again and connected the laptop to TV with HDMI. After the DELL sign it said windows may not have installed correctly, and I tried to install it again. When I got the end of the setup the TV disconnected, couldn't see anything again. Then I shut down the laptop again, when I started it again DELL sign was there but after that there were no visuals on TV. Seems like my laptop gets running but somehow it disconnects from the TV monitor. By the way I didn't connect any of the LCD panels. And it got me concerned that I wasn't able to see Alienware sign instead of DELL. Do you have any ideas on it?

Edit: When I look at mt TV thoroughly, I saw that HDMI signal is coming on and off and it says "intel, 9xxxx PC General"

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  8. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    Man you have a weird case. Maybe put in GPU and try to boot? Can you even boot up to windows without the GPU?

9. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm gonna try it now. I'm so unlucky with these kind of devices and components. :(

10. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    Seems to me like your motherboard or bios went out. Your original setup doesn't work. But what throws me personally off is that you get signal through HDMI. Try your original setup again (old display, old graphics card) and see if that makes any difference now that you have reinstalled windows. Keep in mind also that these cables are very fragile and a little pull in the wrong direction might be just enough to break them. So i wouldn't rule a faulty cable out of the equation.