R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. Baqir

Baqir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just in case if you don't want to do the ram reset you can use emergency bios Recovery it's pretty easy.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    killbillur likes this.
  2. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope I didn't install them, I'll do that. By the way I think there is a big part that I forgot. After I did a fresh Windows setup I forgot to install the modded driver for 1070. Maybe it has something to do with that. If so, I should never install a fresh Windows for the rest of my life. :D

Edit: I replaced the old LVDS panel, it's not working. And this time it beeps 8 times and there is no backlight. I am sure that I connected the cable correctly. After that I connected the eDP panel again, and it is still the same, no beeps, backlight is on but there is nothing on screen. I'm curious why my old LCD didn't work.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. Baqir

Reputations:
    Try LVDS without gpu it should work fine maybe you didn't connect the cable properly

4. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope, I tried it it doesn't work again, still hearing the 8 beep. :( I removed dvdrom, battery, gpu and its fan and heatsink. I tried to turn on my laptop without them. I don't know if it's about it.

5. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, What have you done so far? Like everything you've tried.

6. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This means the laptop did in fact auto-switch to dGPU only mode. The GTX 1070 isn't capable of outputting an LVDS signal, which is why that screen didn't turn on. The eDP screen is getting some sort of signal, otherwise the backlight wouldn't power on. Interesting. That BIOS reset procedure I mentioned earlier fixed that black screen issue for me. I'm not sure why that didn't do anything for you.

Compiling a list of what's already been tried will definitely help us further diagnose the issue.

Also, the driver only has to be installed to get the card to function fully in Windows. It should still provide basic functions when not booted into an operating system.

killbillur likes this.
  7. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay I'll start from the beginning. I was using my LVDS panel properly before connecting the eDP one, but the GPU driver was not installed, and therefore it isn't recognized as GTX 1070, it was seen like 3D Video Controller in device manager. BIOS was UEFI and the legacy option was disabled, also Win 8 fastboot was disabled. I insterted the Windows setup DVD in the DVD-ROM before connecting the eDP panel, I was planning to install the Windows again. I turned the laptop off and started to teardown. I started from the battery, RAMs but only 2 of them (I've got four 8 GB), HDD, DVD ROM, I didn't remove the CPU and GPU also their heatsinks and fans. When I get the inside I removed the card reader cable and there is one more cable about the motherboard, I also removed it I guess because I was able to seperate the top panel. But I'm not sure that if I connect that motherboard cable after I was done with the LCD switch. I might have forgot connecting it at first. Anyways, when I was removing LVDS panel, I had to force the cables little bit because they were like glued. Hope I didn't break it or something. After that I connected the new eDP panel correctly, I'm sure of it. I insterted all of the components again and press the power button, then as you know there was backlight and no beeps but black screen. I was pressing the F2 button repeatedly by the way to go to BIOS settings.

I tried to connect my TV as an external monitor but there were no visuals. After that I tried the BIOS reset as Clamibot said. I removed all of the RAMs and got 2 beeps, when it restarted itself I inserted only one RAM immediately, I tried it couple of times. There were no change. I also did the BIOS resetting when it was connected to TV. No change. By the way the DVD-ROM and HDD were connected at this time. I don't if it has something to do with that but I don't want to miss the details. After this part I removed them when dealing with my LCD issue.

When I tried my old LVDS panel again, I got 8 beeps and there were no backlight. I'm sure that I connected it properly. After that I tried pressing the D button on the keyboard when powering on to get visuals from the screen. I also did the same thing with the eDP panel. Nothing happened again no visuals, black screen and 8 beeps with that powering with the D button. Normally eDP one has got backlight and no beeps but when I tried powering with the D button, it beeped 8 times. But it's not a permanent thing, after I restart the laptop it starts with backlight and no beeps again.

I removed all of the RAMs and tried BIOS reset with LVDS panel. 8 beeps again. I tried to use TV monitor with HDMI, no visuals and 8 beeps. I tried the BIOS reset with HDMI connection, there were no change.

I removed the GPU and its fan and heatsink when starting with LVDS, there were no change, black screen and 8 beeps. I inserted my old broken GPU and nothing happened again, same problems.

I connected the eDP panel again and it was like the same, there was backlight and no beeps but a black screen.

That's all.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems to me like you somehow damaged some cable when disassembling the computer. I come to this conclusion because your old setup doesn't work. So I would say your motherboard cable maybe got damage?

9. Baqir

Reputations:
    please try the emergency bios recovery with old setup without any external gpu just take both gpu out and then follow the guide and procedure how to make bootable usb for the bios recovery from here ►http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-r1-ranger-emergency-recovery-bios.811870/

then put these files in the usb after extracting them without any folder ►https://mega.nz/file/A151QZBT#ndV3rKull2Yvyoeceg29I3XpPgMgi89UxP68VvOgnAE

killbillur likes this.
  10. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay I'll try it. I'll use my old LVDS panel while doing this right?