R1 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by killbillur, May 29, 2020.

1. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes there is no more beepin and the backlight is on but I see a black screen. LCD is working I guess but I can't see anything.

2. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting. I don't think the GPU is dead because you'd get a 6 beep error code from that if that was the case.

It seems there is some setting issue preventing the dGPU's output signal from reaching the screen. I believe you set the laptop to pure UEFI mode already, so that's not the problem.

The last thing I can think of is plugging in the LVDS screen again temporarily to get an image to come up on that screen, then logging into windows and using the FN + F5 keyboard combination to make sure the laptop gets set to dedicated only mode. Let's see if an image comes up on the eDP screen after that.

3. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On my M17x R4, I had the same problem with the screen being pure black with no blacklight when I put in the 120hz EDP port Display. The fix was to set the boot environment to UEFI on the old LVDS 60hz display and when i switched back to the 120hz, I got image. So triple check your environment is UEFI. That's my 2 cents though since I can't really speak for the R1 since I haven't owned one

4. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

This was my screen when I was using the 60 Hz LCD. Do you think there is a problem?

5. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    Nope there shouldn't be a problem. Are you using your 1070 to boot on the new display?

6. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay I'll try it tomorrow but I think nothing will change because I tried that FN + F5 thing, there were no action on my laptop. Or maybe I didn't see it I don't know. By the way my old graphics card was broken you know but there were no beeps, I was just getting code 43, but it isn't the case I guess.

7. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, I replaced every item that I got. New 120hz LCD, and eDP cable, GTX 1070 and 5-pipe heatsink.

8. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    Have you tried booting on your old card?

9. killbillur

killbillur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope. But it's broken, I'm not sure if it will help me but I can try it of course.

10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have the alienware OSD drivers installed? That keyboard combination doesn't do anything without those drivers. The laptop should've displayed a message asking you to confirm the action when you press that keyboard combination, and then restart itself after you click yes.

killbillur likes this.