quietest "new gen" laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by isu89, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's hard to compare emissions when reviewers don't test in the same conditions and the same equipment. Some laptops are reviewed in germany, others in the US, they don't disclose the background noise levels, etc...

When max-q came out they had to follow nvidias guidelines. Not sure how that is now but from my experience with max-q laptops they are usually quieter than their non max-q counterparts. But I could be mistaken

2. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do think this is the way to go and will greatly improve acoustics on most laptops.

If they say they are designed for the high TDPs the intels have, they are doing a poor job. Just decreasing the boost a bit, or limiting FPS in games will make for a quieter laptop.
    Specially so in modern RTX laptops, where the GPUs don't get that hot but still share heatpipes with the sweating CPU.

3. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup. The difference in my machine is astonishing.
    Have you tried doing so on your Razer? I was considering selling mine and purchasing a Pro.

I was actually thinking of grabbing one and disconnecting the two fans which are underneath the touchpad. I fail to see how they could make much difference to temps as they are purely intakes. However I have no doubt they are the reason the RBP is generally considered a louder laptop than the RB15 Advanced.

4. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haven't tried it on the Razer yet. Coming from a P775TM, which was starting to get a bit on my nervers because of its size, weight and loud noise, the Blade Pro is a very quiet beast. So I haven't put any limits on boost for the time being.
    Stock paste temps are also great.

Unfortunately mine came with a few blemished on the screen so I've been dealing with Razer support for the past month... fun!