Quiet gaming laptop, $1500 or less

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by marcv123, Jul 18, 2021.

1. marcv123

marcv123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My MSI 65 has died, so I need a replacement. I liked the MSI and may be open to another, but want to see what else is out there.

looking so far at another MSI, or an Asus ROG, or Acer Predator 300. Not sure which will best fit, or if something else will be better.

looking for a quiet laptop to game with. Want to be able to use this while others are watching TV in the same small room, so it must be quiet under load even with fans running. Hoping it wont get too hot either, so I do not need a cooling pad. Fine with paying someone to paste it, and run throttle stop or something like it.

I wont be playing super demanding games. FFXIV, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, etc. Don't care too much about ultra settings or high frame rates. Definitely want a solid graphics card, but does not have to be latest.

. Should be 15" or smaller, not very heavy.

* **Total budget and country of purchase:**

$1,500 USA

**Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**

Best specs for money. Do not really care about 2 in 1 or battery life

* **How important is weight and thinness to you?**

Somewhat important.

* **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.**

Windows

* **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**

15"

* **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.**

Gaming, web surfing

* **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?**

World of Warcraft, New World, Guild Wars 2, etc. Do not really care about him FPS or ultra graphics

* **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**

Reliable build. Do not want a manufacturer no one has heard of, or anything screaming gamer boy too much.

* **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**

Thanks!

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Acer Predator Helios 300 is about as quiet as you can expect a gaming laptop to be in your price range. It has good features and solid build quality (a step up from your MSI). Amazon has them, though the prices have jumped recently ...there used to be a GeForce RTX 3060 model under $1,500. But I wouldn't pass up an RTX 2060 model if the price is right.

Charles

3. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've had mine now for ~2 years now with a 9750H / GTX650 that I picked up for $740 shipped off ebay. I've upgraded everything that isn't soldered down and had o issues with any of it including the screen from FHD to 4K. The model I have has 2 x NVME + 2.5" SATA for storage which is one of the deciding factors for me with the dual NVME slots it allows for FAST storage / backups. It's taken everything I've thrown at it from 16GB / 32GB ram upgrades, multiple WIFI cards, and a few re-pastings over the couple of years. The nice thing about the Clevo / resellers is they're easy to work on when it comes to popping things in / out of them. They're fairly lightweight as well.

The other thing about them is you get more bang for the buck when it comes to the guts CPU/GPU vs the better known players. They're a bit of a slouch though when it comes to the RTX models but, they're out there for a bit more $.

5. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Only option
    GIGABYTE 15.6" 4K OLED Creator Laptop Intel Core i7-11800H 16GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 1TB SSD AERO 15 OLED KD-72US624SP - Best Buy

6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. marcv123

marcv123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks all, really good suggestions. Quiet run is a big deal (so my computer doesn’t get thrown out the window for being too loud). So any thoughts on which will run at a reasonable temp and noise level, if I don’t try to max out FPS?

8. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They make a switchable water/air cooler for the Clevo I suggested....you just unplug, or plugin the lines from a radiator to switch over (and they make leakproof line connectors too).
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...133&&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22scene%22%3A%223339%22%7D
    Gaar that's a long link, sorry.
    I keep mine in 'entertainment' mode (swichable thru clevo's software) and fans on auto....I rarely hear anything when gaming (mouse makes more noise sliding across table).
    rarely do I hit 65C
    I do not have anything special for cooling on mine, stock heatsink, stock fans, stock paste.....and I have a RTX2060 and a 8 core 10875 cpu.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    gun for just about any 2060 laptops....you wont be disappointed

10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    this really good advice