Quiet, cool laptop for mid range gaming under $1,000 ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by marcv123, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcv123

marcv123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, looking for a quiet laptop to game with. Want to be able to use this while others are watching TV in the same small room, so it must be quiet under load even with fans running. Hoping it wont get too hot either, so I do not need a cooling pad.

I wont be playing super demanding games. World of Warcraft, Pillars of Eternity 2, Guild Wars 2, etc. Don't care too much about ultra settings or high frame rates. Definitely want a graphics card, but does not have to be newest generation.

I'm willing to wait a bit for sales around black Friday if that helps. Should be 15" or smaller, not very heavy.

START COPY

==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1,000, with a sale

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15"

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Anything too flashy or gamery. Want a somewhat grownup looking laptop
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Light gaming, web

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly keeping it plugged in, or on a couch.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Yes, WoW, Guild Wars, Pillars of Eternity 2

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Don't care much

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    On line is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Dont care

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not too flashy, no neon.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Dont care

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Next few months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 2 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? awhile

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Ship is fine.

==========
    END COPY

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oof, this is a tough one. Quiet gaming is considered a feature of higher end laptops, so with a budget under $1,000 options are limited.

When you're talking fans, noise is measured in decibels or dB. 30-35 dB is considered quiet. 40-45 dB is audible. And 50+ dB is considered loud.

I was only able to find one laptop that met your requirements: the Lenovo Legion Y730-15ICH. It's a mid-range laptop (i5 CPU, 1050 Ti) and the reviewer found it had an average fan noise of 33 dB under load.

If you want a more in-depth search, you can actually use Notebookcheck's laptop search that allows you to input both the specs and the dB rating you're looking for.

4. marcv123

marcv123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies. If I went a bit more expensive, would I be able to find something both quiet and with decent performance?

Also, what about resellers such as ibuypower, hidevolution, or gentecpc who will do things like repasting, putting in cooling optimizations, etc. Are those worth it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.