Quiet 17" productivity laptop (maybe some light gaming too)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ramzay, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    Up to $2000 CAD (roughly $1500 USD), prefer closer to $1000 USD if possible

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen, could do 15" if it's a gem of a laptop

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    All are acceptable
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Work - multiple macro-enabled spreadsheets, dozens of auto-refreshing web tabs, some proprietary programs, VPN

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Very occasional travelling by car - size/weight is not an issue

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Some occasional light gaming (currently finishing up some Assassin's Creed games, Dragon Quest 11). I have a desktop gaming rig for heavy gaming

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesn't really matter, a few hours works

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    256GB SSD is plenty, I have extra drives lying around the house I can pop in

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now/soon

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Maybe 1-2 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A while - I have a desktop and several other older laptops around the house

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    On-site warranty would be ideal

Extra Details

I'm quite handy with laptops, and used to be quite active on these forums. Then I just gave up on "gaming" laptops a few years back and built a desktop gaming rig that didn't require any compromises. Now I find myself "needing" a laptop for my secondary home office on the second floor, mainly for work when the kids are downstairs where my "main" office is. The laptop is hooked up to two external monitors. I'm currently test-driving a 17" HP laptop (https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-gaming-pavilion-17-cd0030nr), and it's obviously not the greatest, but it was a decent price, and it's cool & quiet (this is a must - no noisy laptops need apply). This is why I'm mostly looking at 17" laptops, in addition to needing a big screen. Performance isn't that big a deal, hence the power-throttled 9750H in the HP 17 is fine, as is the Max-Q 1660Ti.

I'm really just looking for a 17" laptop with enough power to run my work load and do some occasional light gaming, and it must be quiet. A 15" laptop could be an option if it meets all the other criteria. Budget isn't too much of a concern, though since I'm not looking to do any intense work/gaming, it's hard to justify spending a lot of money on it. I'd prefer good build quality, and would rather pay for that than extra power I don't need.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    have a look at the dell inspiron 7000 2 in 1. You can upgrade as you wish with ssd options and ram at any time.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The HP you're playing with probably isn't a bad notebook, and would be an acceptable choice if you want to stick close to $1,000.

Normally I'd recommend a business-class notebook for what you want to do - you need something reliable and don't need much in the way of graphics power - but business notebooks in a 17" size just aren't a thing. (At least, not without stepping up to a mobile workstation that is far more than you need.) If you step down to 15.6", there's the Dell Latitude 15 5000 series (the 5510/5511 models) and the HP ProBook and EliteBook models in that size. Pricing in Canada might be a little high for those machines.

Along the lines of a gaming notebook, look at the MSI Bravo 17, it has a powerful AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor which will handily outperform the Core i7-9750H. In the US they can be had for about USD$1,100.

Charles

Ramzay likes this.
  4. Ramzay

Reputations:
    Yes, if I step down to a 15" machine, there's a lot more choice. Currently some XPS 15 machines on sale at Dell (the 2019 models) for quite cheap, the Inspiron 15 7000 seems like a good buy for the sale price (not quite a business machine, but pretty solid for a consumer-grade laptop). Getting the XPS with a core i5 and no dGPU not only keeps costs way down, also keeps thermals/noise in check apparently.

5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. Ramzay

Reputations:
    Well, having had a look at the new Dell XPS 17, I think I might have found what I was looking for. A tad bit more $ than I was planning to spend, but the build quality/performance/thermals appear to be what I was looking for. I'll get the model without a dGPU, saves on cost and noise.

7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If u're going after the one without dGPU, go for the one with Iris Graphics. Intel CPU ending with G# are the ones u're supposedly to be hunting for. The higher the number, the better bit rate in processing it is.