Quick: Should I get the M14x or....?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by XxAlbertoxX, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokingjam

smokingjam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i thinkk the m17x is a perfect size.

2. Kynlore

Kynlore Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you are looking at traveling, in airports, etc, then I wouldn't dream of considering the M18x. I have the M14x and carry it back and forth from work everyday. I think the M14x has the weight of a normal-brand 17", I can't imagine what the M18x would weigh. Nevermind the fact that carrying case/bag options are going to be limited for a laptop that size. I was able to find a good backpack for the M14x.

If you don't want the M14x, and you plan on carrying it around at all, I would look at the M17x.

3. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't decide between these two either. On one hand, I want the M14x because it's portable, but on the other hand I want the M17x because it's available with an amazing 1920x1080 screen and from what I've read, the 1600x900 screen on the M14x is pretty mediocre. But the M17x weighs TWICE what the M14x weighs. It's insane...

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    07-26-2011 - LOL, did XxAlbertoxX make a decision yet?

5. ryujin

ryujin 2B or not 2B

Reputations:
    i have an older gen m15x (first or second run - got it in 08 or 09, cant recall for sure) i have passed that on to family members since.
    i currently run with an 11x R1 for school and basically nothing else currently. (i did test runs with games at the time and was pleased, but used my desktop more)

so, i am in the market to get rid of my desktop and use a laptop for gaming and home based stuffs. i.e. replace my desktop

i am in a spot since i like the idea of the 14x (old 15x size(ish)) but am not certain about the playability of some games such as: the new SW online game, Star Trek Online, and some first person shooters that i dont really play often, as well as some future games such as diablo3, the new D&D that cryptic is putting out, secret world, and a few others i cannot remeber names for.

edit: i put this in the 14x arena since that was my first interest as a replacement for my desktop.

while i am certain the 17x could and would score higher, i like the more mobile aspect of the 14x just in case i want to take and play places aside from home.

so - with that in mind let the input begin... :)

6. PapaAlfrego

PapaAlfrego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 14x was standard except i got the basic I7, and i was just like you, i previously had an 11x.

For me, this laptop is great, BF3 at medium at 35-40 FPS, Fallout New Vegas at ULTRA MAX at 60 FPS, Just Cause 2 at 60 FPS on high, SC2 on ULTRA, easily 50-60 FPS.

Its pretty damn powerful and im sure it could handle diablo 3 at max settign (especially since Blizzard optimizes the crud out of their games)

7. ryujin

ryujin 2B or not 2B

Reputations:
    also interested in the ability of external monitor usage...docking station stuffs.

can the 555 card handle a higher res output without losing too much perfomance?

8. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The m14x isnt going to be a huge replacement that lasts a long time but does that "just enough" with being able to most current games on max settings (Ex. BF3 all Ultra, Shadows High, AA off, 16X AF, 30fps).

It will actually be smaller than the m15x. The m17x r3 is a slimmed down version of the m17x r2 and is more similar in size to the m15x. It also has native ability for higher end GPU's, Sandy Bridge, and GPU switching for up to 4 hours of battery. If you dont mind the size of the m15x, the m17x is about the same. If you want something really portable compared to the m15x, m14x is the way to go. I dont even have a desktop might I add, main computer and it does its job just fine.

9. D3athScyth3

D3athScyth3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If your planning on moving it alot (ie 2-3 times a day like i do for work) then go the m14x.

if you want a desktop replacement that you may move once every now and then for LAN's etc i would go the m17x.

I had the same decision to make, i would love the extra graphics power of the m17x but i use my laptop every day for work as well as my main computer (i have nothing else just the m14x) so it needed to be alot mroe portable, so i accepted the hit in future gaming performance.

that being said, im running skyrim on high with HD texture packs all over the place and its running better then my old gaming desktop machine, so dont underestimate the power it has, quite a bit of kick.

In terms of external moniters, i only had a 24" hooked up via vga port (which is directly connected to the intel onboard graphics) and it did not run skyrim well, even on med settings it was struggling.

however i hooked it up to my 46" tv via hdmi (directly connected to the GT555m) and it seems to work ok however i didnt do any benchmarking on it and didnt play for long, was more to see the quality of the TV as it was new.

10. ryujin

ryujin 2B or not 2B

Reputations:
    @ papa and gear:
    i was not aware the dimensions were close to the original m15x. this helps a bit with size based decisions. and i would go for the i7 vs the i5 for sure.
    so this helps in terms of playability for some time with some of the games i mentioned.

@d3ath
    appreciate the input about the external monitors. i have one of two options here and both have hdmi input. so the concern would be the higher rez output from the 555 to the screen. and you mention that it worked "ok" without benches. so this concerns me a bit with the 14x vs the 17x.

albiet the price point diff when i tally up the items i want is about $200-$300 from the 14 to the 17. i guess my conern then is decent play when docked and/or used external for play...in this case the 17 seems the victor.

well, almost time to log...so one last question.

any suggestions on a docking station or similar periph in general?

id like the ability to dock it and use external monitors/keyboard/mouse at times. (i think most docking stations dont do dvi or hdmi if i am correct - but ive not dug deep into that realm as of late.)

peace out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.