[Quick Guide] NVIDIA GPU Undervolting, Overclocking and Overvolting

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mr. Fox, May 17, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sweet! Glad to hear it helped. That is excellent.

Papusan likes this.
  2. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox Hi, me again. I have noticed that when I open MSI Afterburner with OSD and play PUBG I get micro stuttering and massive FPS drop. This happens when I move the mouse cursor and not even playing the game, just in the lobby. Also in GPU Z gpu clock speed and mem speed throttles down.. This is only happening on MSI Afterburner. I had to go back to Nvidia Inspector which has no issues. Got any idea whats causing this? Also what is the difference between Nvidia Inspector and Nvidia Profile Inspector? It seems Nvidia Profile Inspector has been updated and Nvidia Inspector has not had any update in a long time. Got any idea why Nvidia Inspector has not been updated? Thanks for your help.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Howdy, bro.

NVIDIA Profile Inspector is for advanced editing of GPU driver profiles and exporting them. Great tool, but it has nothing to do with your situation. It is not for overclocking. It's mainly for games and it saves time having to tweak things in NVIDIA Control Panel every time you change drivers. Just import the profile and you're done with the tweaking. I can only guess, but my assumption is that NVIDIA Inspector (the overclocking tool) has not been updated simply because no update is needed. It still works as is, so why bother with an update? Being old is of no consequence if it still works. An update might screw it up, LOL.

Go ahead and use MSI Afterburner to set your clocks and voltage as shown in the opening post. Then shut down MSI Afterburner. It does not need to be running once the settings are applied. They should stick until your reboot. Try that and see if PUBG behaves correctly. If it does not behave correctly after closing Afterburner, then the problem is most likely the settings you are applying using Afterburner rather than Afterburner itself.

jaybee83, Papusan and 0lok like this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you check this setting, Afterburner will automatically apply your clocks after login even if it's not running:

[​IMG]

You can't use Nvidia Inspector to adjust the voltage/frequency curve like you can with Afterburner. (Well technically you can, using command line, but it's a b*tch to do without a GUI).

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This problem is caused by horrible Ngreedia drivers.
    Downgrade your drivers.
    390.77 and 391.X seem to be stable, as well as 388.xx.

PUBG also have bugs with TDP unlocked GPU's, causing power limit throttling for no reason even when you are nowhere remotely close to the power limit (probably has something to do with the 144 fps cap doing something funky). But I have absolutely NO stuttering with mouse and MSI afterburner/RTSS / HWinfo64 OSD in PUBG main menu.

Now, Xbox 1 with Bluetooth controller is a different story. Don't get me started.

Papusan, 0lok and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, that works fine and I have used it many times. But, (yes there is always a "but" to consider,) you need to be done with testing and be 100% certain the settings are stable and you did not have something else applied at shutdown. If you have that selected and you are still testing unknown settings that may not be stable, it can do more harm than good. If it crashes with wrong settings, having them automatically applied at Startup requires booting into Safe Mode to undo the mistake. If you save the known good Afterburner profile and apply it from the system tray icon whenever you actually need to use it, that is a safer option. Nothing gets applied by accident if you boot using GPU defaults and manually set the profile from the system tray.

Papusan likes this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ;)

[​IMG]

KY_BULLET, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have actually had that not work before. Not sure why, but I once needed it to work and when it didn't I had to boot into Safe Mode and temporarily rename the Afterburner exe and cfg file to boot into Windows without the screen going black from borked overclock settings being applied at logon.

Without BCD tweaks, getting W10 into Safe Mode can be a real pain in the butt sometimes.

KY_BULLET, Papusan and yrekabakery like this.
  9. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply guys. I just tested what Mr. Fox said and my OC profile remains on once activated even though I have close MSI Afterburner. I have found the culprit. It was RivaTuner. When I uninstalled it, it fixed the problem even though MSI Afterburner remains open. This didn't happened before. I am assuming its due to PUBG on going patch and updates which caused instability with RivaTuner. Sucks I really enjoyed the OSD as I am new to this. hahaha.. Too bad it only lasted for a month or so.. Mr. Fox is there a alternative software for RivaTuner's OSD?
    Thanks for this but I am currently using 390.77 which is really stable for me..

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Not a good one. Try changing the RTSS settings and that might help. Toggle some of the options in RTSS.

If you are outputting too much info to the OSD overlay, that can also cause issues sometimes.

Papusan and 0lok like this.