[Quick Guide] NVIDIA GPU Undervolting, Overclocking and Overvolting

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mr. Fox, May 17, 2018.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting. Both my 980M (Prema vBIOS) and Kepler 650M (svl7 vBIOS) did not move in 13MHz increments.

KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    +3
    upload_2018-5-20_18-46-46.png
    I mean my 780M with (svl7 vBIOS) moved in 13MHz increments. Not 100% sure but almost.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think it matters whether GPU Boost is disabled in the vBIOS.

Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It was that way for me with both @svl7 and @Prema vBIOS from Kepler forward as best I can remember. Fermi was too long ago for me to even pretend to remember clearly.

I have been using modded vBIOS on NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards since 5870M and 580M, so I would not remember differences between stock and modded vBIOS for any of them, other than stock firmware always sucks.

triturbo, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This worked.. Thank you very much..

Yea, its not the same with nvidia inspector that it has a arrow on the side of the slider so you can click and increase slowly. Never mind I'll just use nvidia inspector to test and MIS Afterburner for final clocks and save profile..

Thank you for opening this thread.. Since its coming from you who is very credible, you've basically encourage me to try the program.. Thank you again..
    Lastly Mr. @Papusan who has been teaching me about overclock in the back ground.. Thank you.. ^_^
    As of the moment I have overclock my 970m to +198 on GPU core clock and +291 Mem clock.. This is on Stock voltage.. Next would be increasing voltage and OC..
    Anyone got any rough idea whats the safe daily use voltage of 970m. I was thinking 1.025V? or just 1V?

Edited:
    How come in MSI Afterburner I cannot change the voltage even though I am already using prema's vbios? In Nvidia Inspector there is no problem..
    Edited again:
    The answer is in Mr. Fox Vid.. Sorry.. haha..

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Mr. Fox, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    As long as you keep the temps in check, have proper thermal pads fits on components (only graphics core have temp sensor) I mean you shouldn't have issues with this voltage levels(+1.025V). But I'm not sure how well the VRM's is for your BGA graphics. But it's well known that several 980m cards went to hell even with stock voltage (not sure about 970m). Not due fried cores, but the VRM's couldn't keep up. Bro @Mr. Fox had 2 or was it 3 of his Gtx980m who died. To have it in alive he added one or two missing VRM's.

7. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank for the info. Yea the prob is the VRM. I am still using a stock pads as I am too lazy to do a repaste again as my temps are very good with gelid extreme. Max Cpu temp when running Heaven Benchmark and OCCT for 1 hour with OC settings is 71 degree celcius. For GPU max temp was 67 degree celcius. My plan for my max voltage with this GPU is only 1.0120V and CPU and GPU temp must not reach 75 degree celcius or more. Hope this plan is safe enough. I guess the only way to find out is try it. hahahahahha.. Anyways I am very happy learning something new.. MSI Afterburner.. hahahahha

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Dr. AMK got my golden 980M in the P750ZM he purchased from me. It was heavily hardware modded and overclocked like a banshee. It was beefed up by @Khenglish to keep it going strong.

9. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Yes, it's the most powerful 15" laptop I ever have. Now the new owner is a 3D and CAD designer and he is very satisfied with this laptop performance with his rendering activities.

triturbo, MiSJAH, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.
  10. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thumbs up to @Zoltan@HIDevolution for pointing me to @Mr. Fox video. Thanks to this guide I've been able to undervolt the GTX 1080 in P775TM1 to 912mv @1847Mhz. My idle temp both before and after undervolting remains at almost a constant 57C. I tried out Unigine Superposition for about 15 minutes and it reached around 83C. Is that "good enough"?