[Quick Guide] NVIDIA GPU Undervolting, Overclocking and Overvolting

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mr. Fox, May 17, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am seeing more people asking for help with undervolting their GPUs to improve some of the ludicrous thermals that are commonly seen in many of today's gaming notebooks. I made a quick video to help with this process for those needing assistance.

I also see a few folks now and then asking how to overclock their GPU. The same process used for undervolting can also be used for overclocking and overvolting. You simply go the other direction.

Rather than burying this information in a random thread where nobody can find it, I decided to make a new thread so it is easier to find using our forum search feature or Google search. Feel free to ask questions and share your successes in this thread. You will find links in the video description in my YouTube channel.

[​IMG]

Edit: If you ever changed GPUs or vBIOS with Afterburner installed, you can end up with more than one .CFG file. If you have a multi-GPU system, you will have one for each GPU and all need to be modded. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the video. If you only have one GPU and you are not sure which CFG file to edit based on the date of creation, just edit all of them and it won't matter on the file(s) not needed. Or, you can delete them all, let Afterburner create a new file(s) automatically, then edit the new file(s). But, on a single GPU system, Afterburner will create only one new file.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's a nice little tutorial for people wondering how it should be done. There are tons of videos explaining this as well so it isn't really needed, however the thought is the important thing here.

Ionising_Radiation and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most people on laptops are likely gonna want the GPU to downclock at idle, so L or K-Boost probably isn't the best idea. I think a better way to undervolt is to move the whole curve up by adding an offset or dragging while holding down Shift, then flattening out. Like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UNFORSWEATABLE, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thank you for the compliment, bro.

This is a perfect example of what I meant by people sharing their successes. Thanks for posting it.

Yes, there are different ways to play with it and as people begin to tinker they can find what works best. Knowing where to start and getting past being intimidated by it is the hard part for some. To restore the ability to down clock at idle, simply restoring the default profile after you are done benching or gaming will take care of it.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    @KY_BULLET - thanks for the reminder. Saw your post on YouTube. :vbthumbsup:

Fixed...
    upload_2018-5-17_11-35-32.png

6. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    No problem. My method is more of a set-and-forget method, so I'd imagine it will be more convenient for most people than changing profiles manually.

Afterburner has a setting in the profile tab as well to assign 2D and 3D profiles, so you could for example assign the stock dynamic curve to 2D and a locked undervolted/overclocked curve to 3D. But IME the automatic switching is not completely reliable, so I don't personally use it.

Lastly, @Robbo99999 has suggested in the past to undervolt by adding an overclock offset and then reducing the power limit. This works similarly to flattening out the curve, with the additional benefit of still being able hit higher clocks/voltage points under less demanding loads, but I'm not a fan of it because 1) It requires the ability to adjust power limit which mobile Pascal GPUs can't do without hardware flashing a modded vBIOS and 2) All Pascal mobile GPUs are already power starved by default and 3) Clock fluctuations from constantly bouncing off the power limit cause microstutter.

Vasudev, Papusan, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Updated the opening post with:

If you ever changed GPUs or vBIOS with Afterburner installed, you can end up with more than one .CFG file. If you have a multi-GPU system, you will have one for each GPU and all need to be modded. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the video. If you only have one GPU and you are not sure which CFG file to edit based on the date of creation, just edit all of them and it won't matter on the file(s) not needed. Or, you can delete them all, let Afterburner create a new file(s) automatically, then edit the new file(s). But, on a single GPU system, Afterburner will create only one new file.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  8. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mr fox why MSI afterburner compare to nvidia inspector? nvidia inspector looks noob friendly to me. Thats what im using.. ^_^

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Nvidia Inspector is not as user friendly. You have to use command line for adjusting voltage/frequency curve, which Afterburner lets you do in GUI.

[​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's right, that has been my suggestion of mine, I don't remember seeing microstutter when it was bouncing off the power limit, maybe that's because I have G-sync, I might test it again to see if I can see microstutter. (I don't ever run my GPU like that though in normal use, because I have no power or temperature issues, I run it with max power levels, it was an acedemic exercise of curiosity.)

Vasudev likes this.