Quick and Dirty Core i7 8550u Throttling Behavior on Dell Inspiron 13 7000

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Silvr6, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here is a quick and dirty first look at the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 with the 8th Gen Core i7 8550u

I currently use a dell M4700 i7 3840QM as my main system but I’m looking for something nearly as fast but more portable with better battery life. I really don’t do anything special with my computers, just web browsing and the odd older game like TF2 ect nothing strenuous.

I was most interested in how the new 15W Quad Cores stack up to the existing ones.

Here is a screen shot of Throttle Stop showing the 44W package power limit of the cpu. I can confirm the CPU will load up to 44W for short periods of time before throttling back.

[​IMG]

Here is a video running the throttle stop benchmark(32m) showing how the CPU throttles up and down using the 8 thread and 4 thread setting

Here is a screen shot showing the CPU under full load using the 1024M Throttle Stop benchmark

[​IMG]

Basically in this notebook application you are looking at the following

1 Core Full load 4ghz no throttling

2-4 Core Full load 3.7ghz to start and then slowly drops down to 2.6ghz sustained full load @ approximately 75c.

I haven’t had a chance to play around with GPU benchmarks yet.

Here are 2 screen shots from Passmark V9 The first is the Inspiron 7000 the second is my M4700

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One positive of this particular notebook, it can dual 4k Monitors both at 60hz with no trick, the UHD can do HDMI 2.0 no problems in this implementation.

One thing to note is that since the power envelope is so tight with these quadcores, while running the dual 4k screen and the laptop screens I found the CPU would not turbo quite as high, presumably due to the UHD 620 driving the 3 screens.

Bottom line I can’t see a single negative with these new quadcore CPU’s at all. Of course its up to the manufacture to set power limits but it appears dell has done a great job in this notebook. The only thing I wonder about is with the 44W power limit of the CPU it only comes with a 45W AC adapter not a big deal and I’m currently running it off a 90W ac adapter but still didn’t notice any ill effects running with the 45W one.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting. Could you provide more details on how the two systems (the 7000 and the M4700) are configured? RAM, O/S, Storage subsystem used, programs, etc.?

See:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=900&cmp[]=3064

While the QM processor from 5 years ago uses 3x more power (uhm... okay; TDP), it is only ~10% faster in a multicore setting. Meanwhile; the 'u' processor is ~5% more responsive in single core loads at 3x less TDP...

I can only imagine what a current platform with a 45W TDP would be able to offer us in terms of performance (ignoring battery life, of course).

Sure, this is over the course of half a decade... but the improvements are spectacular nonetheless.

It is examples like this that have me questioning the ones that claim no/little/'held back' progress from Intel in the last decade...

It is obvious Intel is supplying for the mobile users what we all (collectively) want; efficiency over pure performance.

Silvr6, assuming that both platforms are setup the same (O/S, RAM, storage subsystem and programs), could you do a real world workload (one of your own, of course) and see which one is better. Thanks.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Silvr6

Reputations:
    M4700
    i7 3840QM
    2x8GB DDR3 1600
    Crucial CT250MX 250GB Msata SSD
    2GB Quadro K2000M
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    Inspiron 13 7000
    i7 8550u
    2x 8GB DDR4 2400
    Samsung PM961 NVME 512GB SSD
    Intel UHD 620
    Windows 10 Home 64

I don't really do anything strenous on either of my computers but I did run a few tests, totally not scientific and sorry for the bad quality.

First up is a video of the Winrar Benchmark, i wanted to let it run for a few minutes (5) to let the 8550u settle in and not have its crazy turbo boost skew the results. As you can see its a little bit faster than the i7 3840QM, possibly due to the PCIE SSD as well.

Next up is the CPUZ Benchmark, once again the i7 8550u is slightly quicker

i7 3840QM
    [​IMG]
    i7 8550U
    [​IMG]

I also ran cinebench R15 in both multithreaded and singlethreaded

i7 3840QM Multithread
    [​IMG]
    i7 8550U Multithread
    [​IMG]
    i73840QM Singlethread
    [​IMG]
    i7 8550U Singlethread
    [​IMG]

Even in extended tests and mind you these aren't a full suite of them. The new CPU's offer very noticeable improvements in performance. What would be interesting is seeing these CPU's paired with the Mobile GTX 10XX GPU's since those are usually in laptops running the i7 7700HQ, could use some of the power savings to extend battery life as you aren't giving up a huge amount of performance with these cpu's.

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. Silvr6

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. Silvr6

Reputations:
    Just reran Passmark

[​IMG]

6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Thank you for the quick response and the links too.

Is the 4700 running an mSATA MX200 SSD? Are you running Crucial Storage Executive on it with the excellent Momentum Cache enabled?

See:
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/suppo...ut-ssd-_-us-ssd-learn-about-storage-executive

You may want to try that with your older notebook. The increased performance of the storage subsystem is noticeable.

The i7-8550u certainly looks like a winner here. :)

Edit: I'm not sure why the PM score you get is so low (see my passmark link above to your processors...)? Are you running it on battery power (maybe)?

7. Silvr6

Reputations:
    The crucial drive is the CT250MX model, I have not installed any Curcial Software.

The PM score is overall so it takes everything else in to account which is why i'm only getting around 4000.
    Just put a notebook cooler on when I ran passmark again, my disk score jumped huge, my guess is the SSD is throttling due to excessive heat.

8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    What did the score get with the cooler/without? Throttling; main reason for not wanting any current M.2 drive (still). No matter how insane the max 'scores' indicate they should do.

Yeah; that is an MX200 SSD. Try the software and see for yourself. A few reboots are required, but after that; it's just a smoother experience on the same hardware. ;)

9. Silvr6

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the good info. What sort of battery life do you get while web browsing?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk