Questions regarding the M.2 SSDs and the T440s (And other new Haswell Lenovos)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by LYuan, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apparition

Apparition Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Going back just a bit... a M.2 SATA SSD is recognized by the system BIOS just as any other drive, therefore it is bootable. A native PCIe SSD is not recognized by any motherboards (to this point) and cannot be recognized with the SATA devices, therefore, it has no way to boot. It must have its own indpendent way of booting from the PCIe lanes, just like any previous PCIe card did (ie Revo), and present cards included (Scorpion).

2. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you installed a new OS on the M.2 drive? From what I've read so far one has to revert to legacy boot in order to see and select the drive for an OS installation, at least according to the M.2 drive vendor MyDigitalSSD. So how do you get back to UEFI mode after that? (I don't know much about UEFI vs. bios, so pardon my ignorance!)

3. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Theres a setting in the BIOS. You can pick UEFI boot only, or Legacy Support. Note that with Legacy Support Enabled you can still boot UEFI drives.

4. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, i need my M.2 as a caching drive. As someone who shuts down their laptop when it's not in use, I would rather have 8 second startup than 45 second startup.

5. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think most likely the manual is only saying that you'd have a hard time fitting a (Windows) OS on to the 16GB cache drive. Of course Linux can fit there easily if you really wanted to. But it sounds like otherwise booting should be fine given you upgrade the M.2.

6. cardwel1

cardwel1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I dunno, I didn't like what the manual says with respect to reliability where it says:
    Maybe it's just a CYA drill, but I'm hesitant to sink a big chunk of money into a system with these sort of questions still outstanding.

7. unferth33

unferth33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think that's just because of the size of that ssd that it comes with... 16gb would have a fairly short life...

8. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I think the reliability issue specifically refers to the drive that comes with the computer. If the bios can see whatever's in the M.2 slot as a SATA device I see no reason it won't be as reliable as any other SATA device assuming the SSD hardware itself is reliable (which is why I'm waiting for an enterprise-grade Intel M.2 drive)

9. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is normal for Lenovo and other OEMs. They can only support so many configurations. Therefore, if you replace the drives with larger storage units, and alter the configuration in a major way, they may not be in a position to help much if something goes wrong. They support what they ship.

That doesn't mean the machine won't work perfectly fine.

I am not a fan of fear tactics, especially with no evidence to support an assertion.

I plan to upgrade all three storage units on my T440s.

10. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Panzer06 (Y510p owner) upgraded to a 128GB M.2 drive and he is using it as his boot drive. Works fine if you ask me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.