Questions about G-Sync

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by BrightSmith, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    It doesn't work like this.

JRE84, Tyranus07 and hfm like this.
  2. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the error in my reasoning is that I thought capping fps did the same thing as vsync. Thanks for pointing that out. Will just continue to use G-Sync then...

yrekabakery likes this.
  3. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've noticed that even with G-Sync enabled capping fps might help. Sometimes due to poor optimization in games, for no apparent reason you get a frame rate drop from let's say from 144 to 120 fps, G-Sync will prevent from getting screen tearing and still going with a high frame rate, but that little fps drop will cause a perceptible micro stutter. If in that particular scenario your fps were capped to 120 fps you'll not perceive the micro stutter and you'll have a smoother experience. Of course some games are so badly optimized (like Jedi Fallen Order) that in some occasions I go from 90 fps to 60 fps in one particular location, if I cap to 60 fps in the same particular location the frame rate now drops from 60 to 30 fps, that's just a bug not a hardware bottleneck.

BrightSmith likes this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also make sure you enable VSync and limit FPS to 3 frames below the refresh rate, as that is the correct way to setup G-Sync.

cfe and hfm like this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I concur. My previous laptop had G-Sync and it was best to set it a frame or so below the panel refresh.

6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Curious, what benefit does dropping it a frame below the refresh rate have?

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It’s because you have to enable VSync when using G-Sync as this activates frametime compensation to prevent tearing at the upper and lower bounds of the variable refresh rate window. If you don’t limit FPS to at least 2-3 frames below the refresh rate (1 frame is not enough), you’ll just be using VSync instead of G-Sync, and be hit with the full VSync input lag, since G-Sync only works below the refresh rate.

Papusan, Prototime and hfm like this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    unless your getting more than 144fps there is absolutely no reason to avoid g sync end of story