Questions about 8943g

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Danja, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danja

Danja Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

My gateway P-172 X Fx kicked the bucket in February and after almost two months of playing around with it, Gateway called me and informed me that it's unfixable and they're sending me a 8943g in exchange. I'm wondering how I can expect them to compare? I'm having trouble finding a comparison between the ddr3 5850 and the 8800m gts. Also, how will the i7 quad compare to the 2.4 gHz core 2 duo in gaming? What kind of battery life can I expect from playing video?

Also, I'm assuming it would be a bad idea to just drop in my old hard drive. If this is the case, and the computer does indeed have two drive bays as advertised, I may move to an SSD. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I had some more questions but my phone is running out of juice so I'll go ahead and post. Thanks for any advice!

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Its a fair exchange, there is certainly no modern system they produce thats going to be much better at gaming.

i7 quad is either going to be similar in single threaded games or better in multi threaded games.

It will come with 2 hard drive bays though it may only have 1 in which case you need to buy brackets and a cover for the second.

I would recommend a crucial c300 as a boot SSD if you want one.

Notebookcheck reckons 1 hour 54 mins playing a DVD and 3 hours 18 surfing.

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A review with some benchmarks might help with the comparisions.

4. Danja

Danja Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! Looks like it should be a fair trade. More than anything I'm excited to have a laptop again; 2 months without something that you use for work is a long time!

Edit: Does anyone know where I can get the blu ray software that comes preinstalled? It'll be gone when I install the SSD and I want blu ray... :)

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can burn eRecovery DVDs and an additional DVD with driver & apps- it will be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.