[Question]: Portable Gaming / School Laptop (VM's / Virtual Networking)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Badgerized, Dec 9, 2017.

?

Am I crazy with this request?

1. Your most certainly crazy.

33.3%
  2. You sure are asking a lot. But, I understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Meh, not the worst i've seen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What is with this poll? Who puts a Poll on a Question like this...

66.7%
  5. I think your request is reasonable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. +1. Let's do this!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badgerized

Badgerized Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Open to anything

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Thin / Light 17" or, at worst case 15"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA (United States)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Quality is what I prefer. I do not want to buy a $3k laptop brand new to find out it has no support.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Depends if it offers a better warranty compared to a new one

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

For BS in Computer Science with a Focus on Network Administration and Security. I start in February and they gave me a broad list of what it needs to do and, I just added to it. They want performance (enough to run a fully virtualized network and vm's (multiple W10/W10 Server/KaliLinux/Metasploit) within a portable machine) and, I want to be able to game (witcher 3, space engineers, planet coaster, no mans sky - 60+ FPS / 1080p) but, also it to be "portable" and what I mean by that is less than 7.0 lbs and prefer the thinnest(height) most reliable(not many reviews calling bad build quality or non-existant support) pc that I can get my hands on.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both but, mainly on-the-go to and from classes/work.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

The Witcher 3
    Space Engineers
    Planet Coaster
    Quantum Break
    No Man's Sky
    e.t.c. (when, I have time)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Bigger the better. But, I know with a gaming laptop I'd be lucky to get 30 minutes. Prefer (Optimus) just because using onboard would be better battery when the professor has us nowhere near an outlet and I am stuck with powerpoints or excel sheets up.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I would love too. But, I live in a small college town that only has a bestbuy (and, it's one of those mini-bestbuys)

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10 Pro (maybe dual booting Kali / Ubuntu)

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

I prefer 1080p. 4K is useless to me since I have terrible vision anyway (my eyes will downscale everything to 480p) I prefer a 17" inch screen. But, need at least a 15".

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Doesn't matter to me.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes & No. I like the "fierce" look of MSI's gaming look. But, the sleekness of a Zephyrus. Maybe a hint of gamer but, mostly professional look.

15) When are you buying this laptop? (EDIT: I read this as why are you buying this laptop)

(Edit for the when: this Monday 12/11/2017

(Edit for the why: BS in CS with a focus on Network Administration and Security. and, Gaming.)

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

I prefer Forever (this will never happen). but, I prefer not to claim my warranty (and extended warranty) within the 3 / 4 years I own it (or, longer. Laptop this is replacing is a 17" 15lb Sony VAIO. 8 / 9 yrs old but still works!)

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

1TB and prefer NVme or, SSD.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

I don't have any CD's / DVD's anymore... or, in the last 5 years either.

19) How soon till you purchase?

Monday - 12/11/2017. I need plenty of time to set the system up. make backup images. e.t.c.

19) Other Notes / Comments

I was looking at the MSI GS73VR and the ASUS GX501 Zephyrus. However, I couldn't decide between the two. Mostly because of reviews. People say MSI / ASUS have non-existent support, some say the Asus breaks easy, some say the MSI breaks easy, power, battery life, battery (some say ASUS Zephyrus has a non-existent replacement battery and adapter that can't be found. this worries me in the long run since I will be constantly unplugging. The VAIO I have (9 yrs old) has been through 3 adapters and 2 batteries since I've gotten it. Weight is a big factor since I will be carrying a heap of heavy books. and, hopefully, it will be thinner(height) than my VAIO. Also, I need some sort of theft tracking. Like a personal version of Absolute. anyone know of anything similar that won't break the bank but, that would be hard to uninstall if stolen?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    CPU, RAM and SSD should be the most important ones you need to choose.
    Only laptop that fits your requirement is Gigabyte Aero 15 w/ GTX 1060 with Optimus which doesn't have gamer like looks. But its expensive.
    You might wanna look at hidevolution.com for student discounts and other tweaks for lower temps on cpu/gpu.

Badgerized likes this.
  3. Badgerized

Badgerized Newbie

Reputations:

What about the Aero 15X? or, maybe a comparable Aorus model?

Price right now is non-issue as long as it is reliable, fast, light/thin.

Also looked at the Razer Blade Pro (4K) but, I've heard of the fans spinning like jet engines underload and overheating/reliability issues. so, I am somewhat scared of going with them since I've never had them before.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you looked at hidevolution? Razer blade is the one to avoid at all costs even if your college provides it for free.
    See this link http://www.hidevolution.com/gigabyte-aero-15w-bk4-1060.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.