Question from a Linux newbie: Why is my NAS so slow

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Token CDN, May 9, 2019.

1. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I normally get full rated line speed (111 MB/sec or so on a 1Gb ethernet), and plenty of routers etc. have Linux as their baseline. So it very definitely can be done.

Wireless, you're so dependent on outside factors (like other neighborhood traffic), it's hard to make a definitive statement.

NVidia is a pain. Wishfully, one of these days they'll see the light.

But "nothing ever works properly" is most definitely not the case for a lot of people.

2. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, those are wildly inaccurate statements by @jotm. It's understandable to get frustrated with setting up your particular hardware but saying nothing ever works in Linux is flamebait. Some of us here only use Linux, so obviously it works.

Atheros support is great, broadcom is spotty but sometimes good -- it used to be terrible 10 years ago.

3. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I apologize. I really, really want to use it as a main/host OS, and I try it now and then, but I'm stuck with Win10 (mostly because of the software available). On the bright side, Linux runs extremely well in a VM