Question about warranty terms... (opening your own mbp)

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Calzon_V_, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calzon_V_

Calzon_V_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    1 week ago I bought on eBay 2x2Gb ram, I changed the ram by myself, but my mbp beeped at the start... So I decided to take it to an apple certified store, so they could tell me what the problem was... they told me that one module was damaged... And actually they didn't charge me, so they didn't give me a note or something like that (they told me that after the memory replacement, I could take it to them again, and I would have to pay around $30), but guess what? I did open my mbp at my home after that, I just found out that they did brake the little aluminum filter that's in the rear part of the notebook. (it's only glued with the aluminum principal cover), I think that was the first time they opened the unibody mbp so they broke it... So I was wondering, can I go with them, and tell them that I opened and I found that broken? I don't know if you avoid the warranty terms if you open your own mbp at home...

Thanks!

2. Calzon_V_

Reputations:
    Hey anyone help plz... if there's a problem with the warranty if you open your mbp?
    can I say that I did open my mbp at the apple store???

3. Sponsi

Sponsi Badibade

Reputations:
    Yes, you are allowed to upgrade the RAM yourself. You warranty has not been voided.

4. Calzon_V_

Reputations:
    Great thanks! Then I think I'm going to tell them what I did find out about the broken piece :eek:

5. Sponsi

Sponsi Badibade

Reputations:
    Honestly, they might accuse you of breaking it. I suggest buying another stick and going to a different Apple store and have them replace it. Pretend as if only another Apple location has opened it. Ask to watch and see if you can notice the broken piece, if not ask for a closer look before they close it.

6. Calzon_V_

Reputations:
    You're right I was thinking the same, they'll want to accuse me... Well, seems like I'll have to wait a little longer, I'll take it to an apple store in England... (In the city where I live, there's only one apple store :p)
    Thanks Sponsi!

7. Sponsi

Sponsi Badibade

Reputations:
    No problem, best of luck!

8. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is correct, RAM and hard drive are completely changeable under the warranty terms! Previously, the MBP did not allow hard drive changes (in warranty theoretically, although it was very easy to do and most Apple technicians did not mind), but the new unibodies allow it!

9. Emor

Emor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to let you know there's not a lot of Apple stores in England. The nearest on to me is an hours drive.
    EMZ=]

10. Calzon_V_

Reputations:

Ouch, thx... I googled it and the address is:
    Address:
    Level 3, Upper Mall West Birmingham, B5 4BU 0121 260 1900
    It's right next Nottingham where I'm going to live... (well around 50 mi)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.