QUESTION: 32GB RAM UPGRADE??

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by LaMOi, Nov 29, 2021.

1. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I have —

HP Pavilion Notebook 15-ec1001na
    RYZEN 5 4600H
    16GB RAM
    GTX 1650
    256GB SSD

Now I plan to upgrade the SSD to a Crucial P5 plus M.2 1TB — as having to Constantly juggle my games, deleting reinstalling, it’s annoying.

But in terms of performance, have I reached a glass ceiling?

My little budget gaming laptop has impressed me to be honest, I’ve been able to run most of the games that I wanted pretty well.

I play mostly RTS games, total War etc.

But I was wondering whether an upgrade to 32 GB of RAM would give me any performance boost when gaming? Or not?

As if upgrading to 32 GB of RAM will only net me minimal performance boosts, I likely won’t bother..

I would appreciate any feedback on this?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  2. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Upgrading the hdd to a ssd will for sure improve gaming overall and ram, of course you will see lower hickups in games since it can cache more stuff and load it faster
    If you play with wifi make sure you upgrade to a Intel ax200 which should boost download and upload speeds and reduce latency. A good upgrade is of course a ax norm router too for that matter

Vasudev likes this.
  3. LaMOi

Reputations:
    I don’t play online. My download speed is decent.

and I already have an SSD, it’s just a small one only

But is the upgrade from 16 to 32GB RAM worth it?

Will I see any performance boost in games?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you’re not sure that you need 32 GB of RAM, you don’t need 32 GB of RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aroc and Vasudev like this.
  5. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Based on my experience: nope

Adding a SSD will vastly reduce load times, but going beyond 16GB of Ram is not helping any games right now.
    There are some games that are able to use the additional Ram for caching, which means yet faster load times - but you will not get more FPS or less drops, if that is what you are after.

As AMD Ryzen CPUs are easily limited by slow Ram, you might be wondering whether to upgrade to faster 16GB Ram.
    However, I would like to discourage that idea as well.
    Your device is a bit dated by now and you are unlikely to squeeze more than 20% of additional performance out of better Ram (which is a figure I have in mind based on the tests done on AMD Vantage laptops by LinusTechTips) - if the device is even exposing the BIOS settings to force higher frequencies and tighter timings (which it likely does not).

Any money you are willing to put into better Ram is going to provide more FPS per buck, when you save it and put it towards your next machine.

6. LaMOi

Reputations:
    Okay – thanks guys, you’ve helped me come to a conclusion. I’m not gonna bother upgrading beyond 16 GB of RAM. It doesn’t sound like it will make much difference performance wise in games.

as I said already have an SSD, but it’s just small I’m gonna upgrade to 1TB.

joluke likes this.
  7. LaMOi

Reputations:
  8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could buy a 2.5 SATA SSD instead and use it as a data drive to store your games because your Pavilion has a empty SATA drive

9. LaMOi

Reputations:

Oh I forgot about that…. So could I add the 1TB SSD on top of the base 256GB SSD??

and sorry - what do you mean by 2.5 sata?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  10. bloomfielderic

bloomfielderic Newbie

Reputations:
    You've done your part. If you're gaming you most likely won't exhaust your 16GB RAM. As for SSD the improvement will be marginal. You can maybe work on improving the thermals but still it won't make too big a difference.