Quadro FX 3700m issues in Area 51 m15x-r1

Discussion in 'Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems' started by gameboy3800, Feb 8, 2017.

1. gameboy3800

gameboy3800 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    just to clerify, it only bluescreened when trying to install latest drivers on the 3700m when it was flashed to a 9800m gt.

i've tried the old drivers on the quadro with it flashed as a 9800m gt, and now it works!

Attached Files:

• 9800.png
      9800.png
      File size:
      348.5 KB
      Views:
  2. gameboy3800

Reputations:
    one weird thing is that the gpu fans seem to kick in only in stealth mode, and go off in normal mode. shouldn't it be the other way around?

nvm. restarting it seems to have fixed it. it idles hot around 60c, but stays under 85c when gaming. stealth mode does bring the idle temps down a little bit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can try using HWInfo to control the fans. What paste are you using? Is it spreading well?

4. gameboy3800

Reputations:
    i'll try setting a better fan curve in hwinfo. i used arctic silver 5. i used a little bit more than i did on the cpu to ensure it gets as much paste as possible on the copper center of the heatsink, and i put some 3mm thick thermal pads on the memory and power bits.

is there a trick in getting the fans to kick in? because i set it to be custom, but it doesn't sound or feel like it's going any faster than normal. what should the temp sensor? because i have it set to the gpu.

Attached Files:

5. protivakid

protivakid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just soldered my fan lead to a constant 5V source in my m5750. I could never get HWInfo or other tools to properly control them on my particular machine. This way they run at 100% all the time.

6. gameboy3800

Reputations:
    i'm not sure i want to do that on my machine. the fan does kick it into high gear when it gets around 90c to bring it back down to the 80s. i just wish it was a little bit less jarring, and so i could keep the idle temps in check.

7. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why would you flash a 9800M GT VBIOS? It's not a same GPU configuration as Notebookcheck says the FX3700M is based on 280M.

But, you don't need to flash a Geforce VBIOS for the newer drivers to work. Did you try using modded inf files or tried adding the necessary entries yourself?

I'd expect only Geforce cards are whitelisted in the driver inf files for Alienware laptops so you just need to modify those to allow your GPU/laptop combination.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017