Quad cores with a long battery life?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by laserbullet, Apr 21, 2017.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I have gotten more than 6 hours with the Zbook Studio G3 with 6700HQ and the 6-cell battery. It has a FHD display and SATA SSD which really helps drop power consumption (PCIe drives consume more power). Keep in mind a FHD Touchscreen is a configuration option on that model, but it will be reflective due to the nature of touchscreens.

If you do want to go this route, try and contact a HP sales rep for the Zbook. They are usually able to give a better deal than what you see on the website.

2. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to know. Is the given range a calculation based on the size of the battery combined with an estimated power draw, set by review information, or a combination of the two? And yeah, the oddities of review models can be very aggravating as a picky consumer. For instance they send out only one version to everyone, so there's no data in reviews on the battery life for FHD models, because all reviewers I come upon through Google got a UHD model.

Lots of good info so far, if there's more options out there, even if they're only in the pipeline, I'm interested in looking at everything.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Blacky likes this.
  3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thank you ! It's a combination of the two, with more emphasis on the calculation.

4. wrathofdeath

wrathofdeath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Go with the 15 R3 or 17 R4. They both can have a 99wh battery (legal limit) and have switchable graphics.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My XPS 15, last gen gets that solid 6 hours of battery life even without me going nuts on the power savings and the UHD display and that display likes to drain batteries like there is no tomorrow. I would personally say that 6 hours of actual runtime if you aren't stressing the CPU/GPU is a decent estimate. If you start running it hard, you will drain the battery like there is no tomorrow, but that is true of any notebook.

don_svetlio and Vasudev like this.
  6. laserbullet

Reputations:
    This is the exact sort of battery life that I'm shooting for. Knowing that's how the XPS 15 with a UHD screen performs, plus the other pieces of data that have been posted, are very helpful. I think I'm now I'm at a point where I can compare the components of other laptops, and extrapolate the range of their possible battery life from there, which is making me feel better about some more unknowns, like the Aorus X3. Looks like I'm in a tough spot, there's a lot of very good hardware in here, all with their own strengths. Hopefully one of them has a huge sale and makes my choice easy. :D

7. Aonarch

Aonarch Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    +1 on the XPS 15

8. laserbullet

Reputations:
    I think I'll wait on more reviews for some of the newer options presented herein. Many are well explored at this point, but I'm very curious about the recent HP options presented that as of now have little info. HP's website doesn't even have a great picture gallery on any of them yet. No direct overhead shots of the keyboard, etc. Edit: also, do any resellers work with HP? I could be so tempted if any exist, but it doesn't appear that any do.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017