Quad Core i7, Dedicated Graphics, ~6 hour battery life - What's out there?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Azone, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Umgh Hp is selling it's new Envy models with i5/i7 ULV CPU + GTX850M/950M... Might be worth a look if you want a 15.6" screen.. Don't know about battery life though..

2. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    True, but the only reason that was crossed out was because of the screen quality. If I was the one buying it, I'd change the screen myself, but that's unfortunately not an option.

3. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If only the ENVY had the Omen's panel, I think we'd have a winner... haha

Azone likes this.
  4. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^Yep, no kidding. :p

This is kind of out of left field, but it seems the notebook that's going to be selected (note, this isn't finalized) is the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15 with an i7-5500U and a GT 840M. The battery life is nearly seven hours, which is fine, and the screen and keyboard are both excellent. As it turns out, the person who'll be using this laptop found the transforming ability quite enticing, hence why it's being chosen over the W550s. Performance isn't the greatest, but with the SSD selected it should be reasonable enough. If performance ever does become an issue, I'll just suggest a desktop/laptop combo. :p That would ultimately be cheaper than spending ~$2000 on a (admittedly very nice) portable and powerful system. Oh, and it's under $1000, which is cool. The savings might go towards an extended warranty.

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone in this thread who helped out. The advice in this thread has been an invaluable asset in this search. I come away from this thread wishing manufacturers would step up into this niche (it shouldn't be that hard, give the Envy a better panel or give an N550JK/Y50/GS60 a 90 Whr battery) and with a strong fondness for the Omen. :D

TomJGX and Th4tRedhe4d like this.
  5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    It's not a bad choice... hope he/she enjoys it :)

Azone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.