Quad Core i7, Dedicated Graphics, ~6 hour battery life - What's out there?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Azone, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alienware 13, but it has battery drain issues, somewhat bad quality control, and will most likely cost more than the others. It should have the battery life you're looking for though.

Edit: It's 13" and not 15" though.

Azone likes this.
  2. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, yeah I suppose that's worth considering. It only has an i7-5500U, but I guess that might be the way to go. 13.3" might be too small, but I'll have to check. I guess, in that sense, a Lenovo Y40 might not be a bad choice, either. The GPU isn't quite as powerful as the Alienware, but the battery life is still pretty good and it's a fair bit cheaper. It does appear to have a relatively low quality screen, though (albeit not as bad as the Envy).

3. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    Actually you could look at the base model Alienware 15 too (i5/965M). It should have the battery life (check on that though) you're looking for. It's just gonna run hot and be a good bit heavier than all the other options you've considered.

Edit: Heat may not be as much of an issue on the i5/965M model as the i7/970M model I had.

4. Azone

Reputations:
    Noted, thanks! It seems to last about five hours with the i7 model, so I imagine the i5 model will be a bit better (although it's still a 47 W TDP). Didn't realize this, but it seems the i5-4210H is still more powerful than the ULV i7 chips, so maybe I should look at systems with full wattage i5 chips as well.

5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    if you want i7 ULV + 840M, this Asus is a good choice: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zenbook-UX303LN-R4141H-Subnotebook-Review.128511.0.html

I think there is an updated model with i5-5200u + 940M out there..

Azone likes this.
  6. Azone

Reputations:
    Yep, that's been catching my eye quite a bit. However, I've just checked and it seems 13" is a bit too small. I don't suppose there's a 15" equivalent? I can't seem to find anything on their site. I could have sworn I had seen a 15" Zenbook before.

7. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    There is (UX501) but its $2000 and reviews aren't looking too good so far.

Azone likes this.
  8. Azone

Reputations:
    ^That's a pretty sharp notebook. But yeah, $1800 is a bit much. I'm wondering, though, this N56JK appears to have similar specs to an N550JK, which gets a bit over 4 hours of battery life, but it appears to have a 6 cell 5200 mAh battery, versus a 4 cell 4000 mAh battery in the N550JK. Very little user information seems to exist, but I'm wondering if it could pull off close to six hours (as well as why it would have a different battery in the first place).

9. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    http://www.raqwe.com/review-asus-n56jk/

That's the only review I could find and they claim that battery life is almost 6 hours.

10. Azone

Reputations:
    Right, I saw that, just wasn't sure how reliable it was. Also, I'm just looking at some reviews of the N56JR (which seems to be the same system, but with a GTX 760m) and that's a four hour system as well. Ah well, I think I'm just going to do a search for 15" ULV i7 systems and suggest whatever has the best balance of price, graphics performance, and quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.