Qosmio x775 Models

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by bacnation, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bacnation

bacnation Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well I just received me Qosmio x775-Q7272 laptop and I thought I would give my initial impressions of the build quality. It is as far as I can tell completely constructed out of plastics but that is not entirely bad... The base of the laptop feels very sturdy to me, I put a little forces on each side and I did not notice it bending at all. There also does not seem to be any keyboard flex unless I push hard enough to break something which I do not plan on doing. The Screen portion is less sturdy and it can flex but I do not plan on finding out its limits. I also like the keys themselves, they are smooth and I like how they feel and they don't press down too deep which I also think of as another plus. The touch pad was more responsive than I was expecting and I have had to adapt a little, moving my finger considerably less than on my old hp pavilion laptop to move the cursor the same distance. The buttons on the touch pad click rather loudly but I prefer to tap the pad so I do mind it and some may enjoy the feedback. One thing I really like is how light this laptop feels to me. I had an Envy 17 for a few days and this thing feels considerably lighter (to me). I think an important thing to mention is the height of this laptop. If they haven't changed it yet, Toshiba states the height of this laptop to be like 1.2-1.4 inches when all actuality it is 1.2-2.4 inches. This is because the standard battery (the 8 cell) sticks down from the laptop an extra inch and who is going to carry around their laptop without the battery? (sorry if you do but?)

Another thing I need to add, the speakers are GREAT. Really they are, I have them up all the way and there is NO distortion/crackling. The little baby sub on the bottom of the laptop is really more of a gimmick than a real sub (like any sub on a laptop I think?...) but I do feel some vibrations coming from it on lower notes and it is definitely adding something to the sound. I am also in no way disappointed with the 1600x900 display. If nobody had told me this could have been a 1080p but I suppose I don't really have an eye for that stuff. It gets plenty bright for my usage and nice and dim when the lights are out.

Sorry about all of the picture's quality, I broke my digital camera so I used my phone and as you will soon see, the pictures aren't great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will add more things as I use the laptop more and feel free to ask questions I will answer anything that I can. I will also try to get some pictures up later.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks bac, really good overview of the x775; and it's the first one! I bet it'll get a lot of responses from other potential buyers. +rep

I am disappointed it is NOT a metal body; this was something I was hoping Toshiba would catch onto (just a pseudo-metal paint job). [Sorry if my previous comments steered you into thinking it was metal, as I was under that impression].

As for the height and back being raised, I think this can benefit the gaming aspect of the laptop (a feature I like). Raising the back not only can help with cooling, but makes the keyboard easier to use when gaming; since it is tilted towards you (most desktop keyboard are also slanted towards the user).

Glad to hear there is little flex with the keyboard, Toshiba is usually very good about this. Though it sounds like the screen might be a bit flimsy.

Also glad to hear to your ok with the 900p screen. I personally think there is too much emphasis (especially on these forums) to persuade everyone to think they need a 1080p screen. Though it is nice, it isn't always needed (I actually like the 945p res on my screen as opposed to the smaller text 1080p). It's very nice considering it allows you to save a few hundred on your system.
    [**EDIT** - x775 Qosmio also come in 1080p, if ppl are wondering, they just cost more].

The sound should be good on Qosmios, as they come standard with the Harman/Kardon speakers. This is a BIG benefit Qosmios have over the similarly speced alternatives/brands.

Glad to hear your enjoying your new Qosmio. Really looking forward to some pics.

Good luck

3. Maziar

Maziar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great review ! I'm Planing to buy it too. Still looking for more reviews and impressions before placing my order. :)

4. bacnation

bacnation Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really need to update this thread. It turns out I received a pretty bad unit, the battery wear was already 33.4% after about 2 hours of use and the fan does not work so playing Just Cause 2 for about a minute or two spiked the CPU temps over 93 Celsius. While I doubt every model will ship with those defects, I would wait to see some more reviews from others. Another major problem was that even though I purchased the onsite repair 3 year extended warranty which would have covered those problems, it takes Toshiba 3-4 weeks to apply extended warranty so my only options were to ship it in for repairs (lengthy process) or to get a replacement (big hassle and also somewhat lengthy). After complaining and going through about 10 different calls they told me they would apply my warranty immediately and "it should work the next day". That was 3 days ago. I unfortunately am returning this laptop and am going to settle with a business grade notebook so I will have to accept that I won't have the ultimate gaming machine. Everything I said above still stands however; the parts that worked were great and if there were no problems with this laptop I would have been very happy, but there were and they were not resolved to my approval. I cant really recommend this laptop but I also can't discourage the purchase of it. If you are considering it you really should just wait for a few more reviews and see how things turn out.

5. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    WOW!!! That's really disappointing, both in the Hardware failures and implementation of the warranty.

I was really looking forward to this series, but a bad battery and especially a non-functional fan are a bad sign of quality control issues. I really hope Toshiba did not drop the ball on this model.

I do appreciate your time to tell us all this info. I know a lot of people will find it very helpful. [+rep] I do hope they give you a full refund without anymore hassle.

Another alternative you might want to check out is the ASUS G73/74 series. Should be about the same price if not a bit cheaper.

Keep us posted

6. bacnation

bacnation Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, I will definitely keep everyone updated on the return process, they still have yet to email me the return labels (hopefully after the holiday and weekend)... As for my next decision I completely changed the style of laptop I was going for and purchased a dell m4600 since I will just take my desktop to college now for any gaming I may want to do (and a ps3) and I will have a business grade workstation that should (hopefully) last me many years with good-decent performance. With a special plan offered through dell I was also able to purchase the laptop now and I wont have to pay for 30-40 days after I receive the unit (and there is not an increased price or anything).

7. fortik06

fortik06 Newbie

Reputations:
    It is a good one

8. ronss

ronss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmmmm, i sort of had my eye on the Qosmio X775-Q7270, probably the same one....i also have been looking at a refurb 16 or 17 asus from egg, or the msi, or maybe samesung.....dell xps 15 and 15z are on my list too.....going to see how the qosmio pans out with other buyers,.,,it sure looks nice

9. Maziar

Maziar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was debating between X775,ASUS G74 and MSI GT780R and after looking at the specs,X775 is lighter than the other 2 making it a little more portable.
    But unfortunately there are barely any reviews for it :(

10. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The x775 has optimus; not sure if the others have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.