[Q] Is it harmful for battery to use the laptop on AC power when the battery are in and fully charged?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by M_Usman, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayphoonstar

kayphoonstar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My 3 year old Vaio and my new Lenovo both have a "Battery Maintenance" option. The Vaio offers a 50% and 80% setting, essentially keeping the battery from fully/over charging. The Lenovo has the option to fully configure the charging levels. The Vaio still reports very good health and, while it never had great battery life, it is nearly the same as when it was new.

I almost always have the laptop plugged in and this kind of option gives me additional reassurance that using mainly ac power does no harm at all.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It is a nice feature to have the 80% option, as I've seen many laptops have it. However, keep in mind that whether at 80% or 100%, once it breaks below the "threshhold" %, maybe 99% for fully charged or 79% for 80% setting, it will still charge it until it reaches that capacity. In either case it can take a week for it to drop down 1% so it's not like it's keeping a constant charge on the battery. It's only on occasion when it drops below the "must recharge threshhold" or if you use it on battery and plug it back in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.