Putting stickers on laptop

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by synce, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synce

synce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought the XPS 15 not too long ago and the ugliness is getting to me. I want to cover the entire lid with random stickers. Does that sort of thing hurt or enhance resale value, and would I be able to remove all that residue without damaging the finish? I plan on selling this laptop after 2 years

2. Tthursday

Tthursday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It hurts resale value. As for removal, it depends on the sticker.

3. kobe_24

kobe_24 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can understand having a skin for your notebook; but putting stickers all over it is very tacky.

4. NeRo45

NeRo45 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To each their own I guess. I went from a T61p to a dv7 and dislike the flashiness of the dv7 (mainly just the touchpad light which is off and the hp logo on the lid)

5. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd say that having a bunch of stickers hurts resale value and makes the computer look like crap. In my book, the only stickers that belong on a laptop are the ones put there by the manufacturer.

6. Pommie

Pommie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol, some people might not mind the stickers, if they are tastefully done. The majority though won't like it!

Are the stickers easy to take off?

7. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
    NO, you can't stick your "bro" stickers on the laptop if you want to sell it...

/sarcasm:p

8. NeRo45

NeRo45 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't if you really think you'll sell it. The reason is what is cool for you might not be for the person you are selling to. Meaning, let's say you like a band and put the sticker on and the only potential buyer you have hates that band, now your potential buyer is potentially looking elsewhere.

9. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Try finding a removable skin for your XPS 15, and then if you like, put stickers on top of that. Some stickers can damage laptop paint coatings if left on for too long/exposed to heat/etc, so personally I'm leery of them. That, and I always remove all the stickers off my laptop immediately after opening it for the first time ;)

Thread moved to a more appropriate subforum--let me know if you would like it moved back, however.

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Any modification will hurt resale value. Personally though I have a jeep sticker on my t400 and I really dont care as my laptops either get junked when they die or get passed around the family so resale means nothing for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.