purpose of backlit keyboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by thedarkclaw, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freewilly

freewilly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have Dell E6320 and the backlit keyboard is rock-solid and, due to adaptive lighting, turns on the backlight only when lighting conditions warrant it. I'm also a hunt 'n peck typist, so this is a bonus.
    One thing I've found over the years is that it's well worth getting a 'business class' laptop vs. consumer models. Yup, I pay more, but a 3 yr 'next day service' warranty (had by screen replaced due to ONE stuck pixel near the top left edge and have had personal experience with the quality of service) and Milspec toughness make it definitely worthwhile.

2. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Really OP, isn't pretty enough for you?

It you need something more scientific, consider it an alternative (and much more efficient) way to light the keyboard.

3. sarge_

sarge_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What is H&P?

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If i had to take a guess, I'd say hover and peck.

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Hunt 'n Peck™

6. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my case, I have a theater setup in my office and wanted a backlit wireless keyboard so I could load everything up or even use the computer from 10' away w/o the lights on. The logitech k800 worked perfect for me. No it wasn't necessary but then again, what percentage of electronics (especially portable) are 'necessary' lol?

In my case, it's just fun to use and I love it!

7. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think any home computer or notebook you use for travel should have a backlit keyboard.

I usually keep mine off unless I need it... but do use it occasionally (and yes... like other posters said, while I can do fine once I find the home keys, it's the less often used keys like the shifted ones on the numeric row that I need the light for).

8. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Alright, since people can't discuss why they prefer a backlit keyboard without going through the usual, this is an obvious question or this is stupid. I'm closing this thread.

And yes, it is a very obvious question, but still some good points were made. If you think something is not worth answering, then don't answer and let the thread be buried by the new ones.