PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a 60Hz monitor on my GT80 Titan...I wonder if its safe to overclock it? Does it have a long term effect on the monitor?

EDIT:

So I OC'ed using Nvidia Control Panel custom resolution to 96Hz...everything seems buttery smooth now.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. zzBacon

zzBacon Newbie

Reputations:
    Seems I can only get 63Hz. Anything above that and it just reverts back. Is this the max I can OC it too? Because someone else on this thread with the same laptop as mine OC'ed his to 90Hz. I've got an i7 6700HQ. :)

3. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    MSI GT80 Titan 6QE...OC'ed from 60Hz - 96Hz - 100Hz - 120Hz. It's like having an actual 120Hz on this thing that the manufacturers doesn't want us to use...however I didn't follow the guide instead I use Nvidia Control Panel to set custom refresh rate.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    My GT80S 6QE Titan doesn't have optimus so when I installed Intel Driver it says:

[​IMG]

How do I proceed to the next step?

5. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    Nvm...I skipped the installation of Intel Driver and proceeded to CRU and set my refresh rate to 110Hz.

Unlike before I used Nvidia Control Panel to set a custom refresh rate but in-game settings won't let me pick that custom refresh rate but with CRU I now able to set the custom refresh rate to 110Hz with DSR enabled.

EDIT:

Finally...I set it to 110Hz...max I can get.

@margroloc @ToastyX Thanks for the guide and the tools! Everything is now buttery smooth.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    jaug1337 likes this.
  6. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you sure you have the same panel as the other guy? Sometimes even with the same model laptop that's not the case.
    Anyways if your screen is blacking out then that means whatever settings you had weren't stable. You could try to adjust the timings but otherwise I think you might be stuck. Maybe get in touch with the other guy and if you guys do have the same panel, copy his settings?

Your laptop doesn't have optimus so the display is running off the nvidia GPU which means you can either use CRU or the custom resolution tool built into the nvidia driver. The intel graphics driver wouldn't be useful for you at all. Great that you already figured everything out :)

Midas Touch likes this.
  7. zzBacon

zzBacon Newbie

Reputations:
    May I ask how do I adjust timings in CRU? And what timings do you recommend? :)

8. zzBacon

zzBacon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, may I ask what panel you have? :)

9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    FOR IVY BRIDGE USERS (Intel HD Graphics 4000) WHO WANT TO OVERCLOCK THEIR MONITOR WITH OPTIMUS

So @James D with his video managed to OC his monitor using a flashed IDID and then changing it via the method in the video in Windows.

HOWEVER, I found the second method. This has worked for me, without failure, on 3 Ivy Bridge laptops I've used it on. I reached 75Hz on 6 cheap displays.
    1. First, make sure you have the newest Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver, download here.
    2. Click Windows Key + R (launches Run), in there type the following: "C:\Windows\System32\CustomModeApp.exe" (without quotes)
    3. From there the magical window that controls custom resolutions, that is hidden in the menu, is shown.
    4. There you go! The thing to remember is to keep the pixel clock to > 225Mhz for HDMI.
    P.S. All of this was done on the W10 Creators Update, couldn't make it work on one laptop running the Anniversary Update.

I am now wondering if I will be able to use a 2560 x 1440 @60Hz using custom resolution and HDMI 1.4 ... but who knows.

Good luck folks.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    James D and Midas Touch like this.
  10. ExMM

ExMM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After a few experiments I finally got my laptop monitor (Chi Mei 173HGE-L11) stable at 95hz, can reach 100hz but with a little artifacts on the desktop (videogames and movies seems fine thus). :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    margroloc likes this.