PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. LeonardoMSP

LeonardoMSP Newbie

Reputations:
    So, I'm having some issues here guys, hope I can get some help.

Recently bought a Dell IS 7567 with i5 7300HQ (Kaby Lake) sided by a GTX 1050 and Intel Graphics 630.

I tried to follow @margroloc steps but, funny, I'm stuck in the most basic stuff. I can't get the driver to be correctly installed (the BETA one, which's been tested). It says windows can't verify the driver's signature.

Yes, I swear I installed it by using the .inf file as described in the post, but when I restart the laptop after installing it, I get this signature stuff message. Should I disable driver signature enforcing? Or maybe the driver ain't compatible with my laptop?

My current driver gives me the option to try customized resolutions, but I get that "maximum bandwith exceeded error".

To top it off, I think I'm not even handling CRU correctly. I follow all of OP steps but can't even get the new refresh rate to show in Intel Graphics control panel. I can confirm that I tried every possible combination from 63-75hz, switching between "Manual" and "Automatic - LCD reduced" settings, and could not do it.

As an additional info, CRU names my panel as CMN15D2.

2. Prateek Verma

Prateek Verma Newbie

Reputations:
    Dont do it. Not worth wasting your time. I already tried it on CMN15C4 panel. The panel manufacturer is same for you and me. The highest i can get is 62hz from 60 hz. Even other posts confirm that the panel with 'CMN' as a manufacturer do not overclock so well. Two other person with same panel manufacturer were able to go up to 63hz only.
    As far as the driver issue, i clicked on the link posted by the margroloc. There,Intel promted me that a new latest driver is available released after this version.
    So, i downloaded that latest version and indtalled it using that inf file method. It asked to verify the installation as it is not digitally signed by Microsoft. I allowed the installation.
    After that CRU started working, i was able to add custom refresh rates.
    But the max overclock i was able to achieve was 62hz.

3. Rizma Jody Festiawan

Rizma Jody Festiawan Newbie

Reputations:
    Whoa, thanks, guys.
    This works on my ASUS A451LB (or maybe called S451LB) Internal Display (eDP, AUO323C, 1366x768)
    I can overclock it to 90Hz without any glitch/frameskip/artifact (or even 98Hz but have some frameskipping).
    I can also overclock my LG-22MP58VQ to 75Hz without any problem I've mentioned before. Going further shows OUT OF RANGE
    Now I feel the smoothness of 90Hz on my laptop :D

PS :
    1. Intel Driver used is the latest available driver for Haswell, 20.19.15.4624, dated 3/8/2017
    2. Do not try to overclock it above 90Hz on AUO323C or you'll get artifact (Yes, I have tried it, OCed to 120Hz or even 200Hz on lower resolution (It still can manage the Pixel Clock below 120Hz) but the result is screen artifact, fortunately I have an external monitor to reset the configuration)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    margroloc likes this.
  4. LeonardoMSP

LeonardoMSP Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, yeah, that may be unfortunate for me. As for the CMN, however, I think it stands for the Chi Mei manufacturer. The dude who first posted in this thread apparently could do some good overclocking. Well thanks for answering tho. I've already spent a ton of time trying to do this. I was hoping to reach at least 75hz, which would make some nice difference. Imma do some other tryouts tho.

Edit: could get CRU to work with the .4627 driver. Couldn't go nowhere past 60hz tho. Even 62 would not work. Now I can say CMN15D2 does not overclock.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    margroloc likes this.
  5. iambalaji

iambalaji Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Gigabyte Aero 14 with a LG panel LGD049A ( LP140QH1-SPF1) . Default supported max display settings are 1440p@60hz reaching eDP limit of 238/7 Mhz. Even a slight bump to 62Hz@1080p results in instant black screen followed by running vertical lines across the entire screen.
    If anyone succeeds with this panel , please report

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    margroloc likes this.
  6. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Monitor overclocking results:
    Aero 15 CMN15C7
    62hz, anything over resulted in artifacting / weird duel screens. Disappointing.

margroloc likes this.
  7. maxsze

maxsze Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

First post to say thanks for this. I've done this to my
    Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-593G-772Y. The results are pretty decent, it's gone to a stable 70mhz which is definitely noticeable (72mhz+ doesn't work at all). On initial boot, I will find it flickers for a brief 1 second before returning to normal for the entire session. This is absolutely fine IMO and worth doing.

60mhz to 70mhz may not sound like much but it is a 15% increase that otherwise costs nothing and gets better animation quality and just general smoothness in any application that can make use of it.

EDIT: Model Number (model is from store in Australia)

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    margroloc likes this.
  8. Viseling

Viseling Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

This was an awesome post. I managed to boost my refreshrate from 60hz to 96hz! Which is an amazing improvement.
    However, I have something strange going on.

My normal colours have slightly. They look a little bit more 'pixelly' if you know what I mean. Its a very small but noticeable change. Do you know how to change this? Reverting back to 60hz seemed to have changed the issue, but this... obviously... is not what I want. :)

Anyone has any tips?

9. zzBacon

zzBacon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm running an MSI GE62 6QF with a 970M. I've followed all the instructions, however, when I go into the Intel control panel or Windows settings to change the refresh rate, it blacks out my screen for a few seconds and then reverts it back to 59Hz. Is there a way to fix this? Or is my screen just not capable of running at more than 60Hz? Thanks for any replies!

10. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    What refresh rate do you set it to?

Also what CPU do you have?