PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Liky

Liky Newbie

Reputations:
    I overclocked my AW 17R4 to 100 Hz at default settigns, with the latest non beta driver, I think 103 is possible as well but when I restart the laptop it switches to 59 Hz by itself (yes a 59hz option in intel control panel appeared by itself).
    Also when you increase the refresh rate of the monitor does the brightness decreases ?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your report.
    104hz sticks for me through a reboot, maybe this is a case of intel's drivers doing something weird. Try selecting 100hz from Windows instead of the intel control panel and then rebooting?

It's possible that upping the refresh rate will change colors/brightness but my panel is not affected, and I think most aren't. It's only a problem if you notice it.

3. Liky

Liky Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply also. Now the refresh rate is staying after restarts I even increased it to 103hz. Those timings though, if someone can explain them in detail how they affect the display and how should they be changed with the increase in refresh rate will be very helpful. Currently I just use the default for my display so at 103hz I am at 238khz pixel clock which is the limiting factor to go higher (after 240khz resolutions stop to appear)
    So if I reduce some of the timings the clock drops but what effect this makes to the screen ? Also that sync polarity the default for me is +- with ++ works too. I found this explanations
    http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/660/index.jsp?topic=/com.qnx.doc.screen.wfdcfg/topic/manual/cwfdcfg_timing.html
    it is for raster scanning displays though aka CRT monitors.

4. GamingDamned

GamingDamned Newbie

Reputations:
    How you do that? I'm so lost on how to do it on my laptop. I got same laptop with an gtx 970m.

5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No it simply depends on what screen you're using. The 15.6" PLS displays overclock like champs ~100Hz. The IPS LG overclock like crap on the 15.6" screens. TN 15.6" also seem to overclock fine.

6. Dianiso Dorsey

Dianiso Dorsey Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a question I hope can get answered. This may be dumb to ask but I have a bay trail -M generation processor which I think is 3rd generation processor; is it unsafe to install one of the newer drivers like 15.40 or 15.45 etc. on it just to get a higher refresh rate on my monitor?

Thanks in Advance.

7. Prateek Verma

Prateek Verma Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a hp pavilion ab031tx notebook. it comes with a 15.6inch 60hz CMN15C4 (TN) panel. I tried to increase the refresh rate with default clock, but even at 65hz artifacting occurs. I cant go anymore up than 62hz. does anyone know any custom settings by which I can increase it further?

8. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Read the first post lol

I'm not so sure that's a reliable statement to make. My 15.6" IPS LG does 103hz ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You can try but I'm pretty sure it wont work. Bay trail uses ivy bridge gen graphics and driver support was always even worse. I've never been able to update the graphics driver on my bay trail t100 tablet so not going to try with this.

It sounds to me like your panel doesn't like to be overclocked. Maybe try reduced timings in CRU and see if it helps? Or adjust some of the timing values randomly and see if it improves, otherwise 62hz may be all you can get. Don't forget to check for frameskipping too.

9. Prateek Verma

Prateek Verma Newbie

Reputations:
    It gives instant artifacting with reduced timing in CRU even at 60hz. No frameskipping seen at 62 hz though. But, i noticed that 62 hz is not completely stable, it runs fine but when i wake up my laptop from sleep sometimes shuttering occur for 1-2 seconds.

10. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any chance this will work on an old Alienware M17xR3 3D panel with a 2720QM and a 680M? I'm already running at 120Hz but it would be interesting to see if it can hit the 144Hz mark on a laptop display. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk