PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    right click desktop -> open intel graphics control menu

then for screen refresh rate choose your new setting and hit apply. to test for stability read the main post for the link to the refresh rate multitool app (to check for frameskipping), and for artifacting just look at the screen. if you see funny lines or something you know its unstable

Prototime likes this.
  2. Fran Fernandez

Fran Fernandez Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi dude, I'm using a MSI GE62 2QD Apache Pro with a 60 hz monitor, and I have been able to oc it to 96 hz with 0 problems. Thanks for your help!

margroloc likes this.
  3. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't have any idea what the timing values do, believe me I've searched a lot for that info. It seems some people out there know what this all means but I haven't been able to find an easy to understand explanation of it all. That's why my recommendation is to just mess around with the timing values and see what sticks - very time consuming and admittedly it might yield nothing for some people (it got me from 103hz to 104hz. [105hz was doable but inserted a purple horizontal line on the bottom of my screen nearly every time my laptop woke from sleep so I had enough and dropped to 104])

Glad it worked for you! Best part is it costs nothing to download these tools and try it out, I'm glad that after years of complaining intel finally fixed this part of their drivers.

Talon, hmscott and Fran Fernandez like this.
  4. TheWorldsEnd

TheWorldsEnd Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the guide, worked like a charm on MSI GE70 2PE Apache Pro up to 90 fps, but for some reason "Release" Intel driver gives me a terrible tearing even without any overclocking. No problems on 4568 version though. Now if only I could actually run games on this framerate :')

5. DatteRo

DatteRo Newbie

Reputations:
    Could get my Asus N550JK screen up to 83 Hrz. Thank you!

hmscott likes this.
  6. PLLovervoltage

PLLovervoltage Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anybody else experienced this weird issue? I've found with cru settings enabled videos keep intermittently freezing. The audio keeps playing but the video keeps freezing. It took me a while to realize it was cru cause I initially assumed it was a bad chrome update. Even happens when windows refresh setting is set to just 60hz.

7. Sptz

Sptz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone overclocked an LGD046F panel? (Came with my Clevo P650HP6)

I can't seem to get it over 63hz. Not sure if there's any other options within CRU I can change (timings etc) to see if I can push it further? I literally have no idea what those options actually do.

8. Eindru

Eindru Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Its probably because it is a 15.6 inch screen. From what I have read the 17 inch screens just naturally overclock higher.

I am still running this now on a fresh install of Win10, and still at 90hz. Best free mod yet.

9. Liky

Liky Newbie

Reputations:
    I overclocked my AW 17R4 to 100 Hz at default settigns, with the latest non beta driver, I think 103 is possible as well but when I restart the laptop it switches to 59 Hz by itself (yes a 59hz option in intel control panel appeared by itself).
    Also when you increase the refresh rate of the monitor does the brightness decreases ?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  10. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for your report.
    104hz sticks for me through a reboot, maybe this is a case of intel's drivers doing something weird. Try selecting 100hz from Windows instead of the intel control panel and then rebooting?

It's possible that upping the refresh rate will change colors/brightness but my panel is not affected, and I think most aren't. It's only a problem if you notice it.