PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. PLLovervoltage

PLLovervoltage Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    I've been able to get up to 74hz on my Acer V7 482pg at 1080p. So now I was trying to adjust refresh rates for resolution at 720p but I get this screen if i set it to 75hz(works normally at 74hz). Computer and screen to left side is working but instead of filling the screen, the screen repeats to fill the right and bottom side. Anybody know a solution?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Evanescent

Evanescent Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Might be an odd question, but would this work on laptops with desktop CPUs(i.e. Clevo P750dm2)?

3. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's easier on non-Optimus laptops. Just create custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Evanescent

Evanescent Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for that info mate. Appreciate it.

5. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    This 100Hz probably not the maximum, but I'm happy with it and not interested to squeeze out few more Hz :).

6. HITTI

HITTI Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  7. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've just noticed that I can see the waves of display refreshes on my panel when I set the background to solid black and brightness at minimum, and it does seems to only appear when I push the panel near its limit. I dont know if it's bad for the panel in the long term though
    I do have a question: how did the manufaturers decide which refresh rate to be a standard? I mean, everything from 60hz to 144hz, 240hz etc... why not any other arbitrary number?

8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    The values are multiples of movie frame rates, either 24 or 30 fps. The former because Todd-AO lost the war and film stock became 24 by default and the latter due to the US's electricity grid running at 60 Hz. Hence also the same European movie runs 4% shorter; 24 stock sped up to reach 25 fps, which is double the grid's 50 Hz, whereas the US version will have an interpolated frame so the theatrical original has the same run time as the copy for TV/DVD.

Basically; historical reasons.

Prototime likes this.
  9. amn3sia

amn3sia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Laptop: Asus Rog G750JZ (Optimus)

Drivers: 20.19.15.4568

Stock refresh rate: 60 Hz

New refresh rate: 90-95Hz

Settings:
    -http://prntscr.com/f2dlqz (90Hz)
    -http://prntscr.com/f2dlvy (95Hz)
    -http://prntscr.com/f2dm2a (101Hz)

Notes:
    The 90Hz one works excellent without any obvious artifacts or issues. The 95Hz one works fine as well but has occasional flickering. The 101Hz works but has heavy artifacts.

Side note: I have to apply it every time as it resets and it also messes up my gamma so I have to set that as well.

Question: Can anyone say whether or not the flickering is bad for the health of monitor and what could I do to achieve more than 95Hz? Cheers.

margroloc and hmscott like this.
  10. PLLovervoltage

PLLovervoltage Newbie

Reputations:
    From what I have read adjusting monitor clocks has no harmful effects. Flickering is just a side effect of unstable clocks. I'm stable at 74hz plugged-in but I also experience flickering when on battery.

I was hoping if someone could help me understand the parameters better. I don't like mindlessly changing numbers and so far any changes to 74hz I am always stable and any changes to 75hz I am never stable... so unfortunately I have no sense of which direction I should be heading.. if anybody has the knowledge of answering my questions I would be grateful TT or if they could point me in the right direction(forum/thread) if it has already been answered but this is all I've been able to gather.

1. I seem to be limited to a max pixel clock of 175MHz. I was wondering if anybody knows where this number might be coming from. The eDP max pixel clock is 240Mhz. I have an optimus laptop but already installed op intel driver and patched nvidia limit.

2. I understand sync width was originally used as a sync signal for old analog tvs. Is this still relevant with today's vsync? From what I'm understanding total blanking (front+back+sync) period is more important because it gives time for pixel GtG transitions. Does that mean it doesn't matter if its for example..
    20 front 20 back 20 sync
    or
    60 front 0 back 0 sync
    ?

3. For blur reduction featured monitors(aka. lightboost,ulmb, bbr), it is recommended to increase vertical total to help with blur reduction. A higher vertical total creates a larger blanking interval giving more time for pixel GtG transitions and create less blur. Is this still relevant for non-blur reducing monitors we find on laptops? Would reducing blanking period to decrease bandwidth(in order to increase refresh rate) introduce blur since it gives less GtG transition time or is the difference not significant enough?

6. Anybody know where I could go for more information on the electronics of gpu to monitor data transfer? ( I may be using the wrong search times cause I seem only to find sites explaining standards and basic stuff like IPS vs TN vs VA etc.)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    margroloc and hmscott like this.