PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Niaphim

Niaphim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried on a Razer Blade Stealth (late 2019, 1650 max-q model), no luck so far. Screen goes black when creating any custom resolution and refresh rate (even 61 Hz), have to reboot in safe mode and reset.

2. Costen

Costen Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to OC to 82 HZ on P150SM-A with AUO B156HW01 V??? (Glossy IPS LVDS). The max I was able to get was 85 HZ with no frame skipping, but the screen had red artifacts in some scenarios. Timings below
    [​IMG]

0lok likes this.
  3. Costen

Costen Newbie

Reputations:
    I figured it was the V7 based on HwInfo64.

4. nikk_

nikk_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all
    I have an Alienware m17x R4 with i7-3720QM. Unfortunately on the Intel site it says that they no longer provide support/drivers for my rig. I've seen a couple of posts of people here saying they were able to overclock their monitor but the posts are quite old (I think 2017).
    Is there a way for me to do it or my laptop is too ancient for it :D

5. magnussen

magnussen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again, I'm now using a different laptop (Acer Swift 3 SF314-56G), and I read somewhere in reddit is when adjusting the timings is to start from front porch then width sync then back porch, and so I did, and this is the minimum I can go. The laptop is using CMN14D4 panel, and I managed to get 64 Hz stable no frame skipping, artifacts or anything. When trying to get to 65Hz, screen just went dark.

I was wondering if there is any way I can squeeze more hertz considering the pixel clock in 64Hz is lower than in 60Hz, maybe a certain combination of the parameters?
    [​IMG]

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you do realize overclocking screen can cause damage although rare it can happen. I overclocked my nitro 5s screen to 90hz and after reverting it flickered massively for 3 days.

this inspite of general consensus it can do no harm///I know first hand