PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Niaphim

Niaphim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried on a Razer Blade Stealth (late 2019, 1650 max-q model), no luck so far. Screen goes black when creating any custom resolution and refresh rate (even 61 Hz), have to reboot in safe mode and reset.

2. Costen

Costen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I managed to OC to 82 HZ on P150SM-A with AUO B156HW01 V??? (Glossy IPS LVDS). The max I was able to get was 85 HZ with no frame skipping, but the screen had red artifacts in some scenarios. Timings below
    [​IMG]

0lok likes this.
  3. Costen

Costen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I figured it was the V7 based on HwInfo64.

4. nikk_

nikk_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all
    I have an Alienware m17x R4 with i7-3720QM. Unfortunately on the Intel site it says that they no longer provide support/drivers for my rig. I've seen a couple of posts of people here saying they were able to overclock their monitor but the posts are quite old (I think 2017).
    Is there a way for me to do it or my laptop is too ancient for it :D

5. magnussen

magnussen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again, I'm now using a different laptop (Acer Swift 3 SF314-56G), and I read somewhere in reddit is when adjusting the timings is to start from front porch then width sync then back porch, and so I did, and this is the minimum I can go. The laptop is using CMN14D4 panel, and I managed to get 64 Hz stable no frame skipping, artifacts or anything. When trying to get to 65Hz, screen just went dark.

I was wondering if there is any way I can squeeze more hertz considering the pixel clock in 64Hz is lower than in 60Hz, maybe a certain combination of the parameters?
    [​IMG]

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you do realize overclocking screen can cause damage although rare it can happen. I overclocked my nitro 5s screen to 90hz and after reverting it flickered massively for 3 days.

this inspite of general consensus it can do no harm///I know first hand

7. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Razer Blade Stealth Late 2019 with 60Hz didplay. 69 MHz does work, 70 and above create heavy artifacating.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. Cafofo

Cafofo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the topic. For statistics I can get @100hz on my G750JS monitor. When gaming its really usefull 'cause I`m used with my 144hz monitor when in home....

The only problem right know is the gama getting too strong. Even when calibrating on windows I cannot get a good image quality(lowest gama possible..).
    When I change to 60hz I can see how vibrant the colors goes, I'll try more settings later on.