PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @ayerly This resolution is virtual. It might do something for games but not for general use.

2. ayerly

ayerly Newbie

Reputations:
    What do you mean when you say it is "virtual" ?

Because I do see the difference and it is an actual wqhd resolution which is way better for me to work (more space for writing/reading) etc...

I find it more suitable for general use than games (on which i'd play 1080p@120hz ofc)

3. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Because all that is scaling. You don't actually get more pixels or have a natural WQHD.

4. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Even if it's virtual, can it be done with CRU like overclocking? I have a 1366x768 screen and sometimes I need a little bit more screen real estate, even if it's scaled

Also not related, but since a last few driver updates, if I create any custom profile in CRU, Intel Display Power Saving Tech would automatically turn on after every reboot for me, and it cant be disabled in the Control Panel when plugged it. So what I have to do is unplug then plug in again for the brightness to be normal. Is there a fix for this?

5. lnx64

lnx64 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I have a Thinkpad W541 with the 1920x1080p screen, and I can't get CRU to work at all on it. I am running driver 4568 as required from this thread (I had to hunt it down on a mirror but found it), and I have tried the newer drivers as well. The display is eDP, but I don't know which version. I have tried to even add resolutions like 832x624 at 60Hz (as a test) and that wouldn't even show up either. I can add that mode however through the Intel utility, but only 60Hz, 59 and 61 will not work.

Any ideas on how to get CRU to overide the EDID? I currently reverted back to driver version 4568 and have left it there since.

Also, "Hide modes" under the monitor preferences on Windows is greyed out, I cannot override it whatsoever.

(EDIT: CRU worked fine on my Toshiba Satellite, bringing it from 60 to 90Hz, and my desktop's Dell panel, going from 60 to 75Hz, as long as HDR was disabled. In HDR it wouldn't go above 60Hz at all, and would kick down to 8pbc and not remain in 10bpc).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. TnF

TnF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's not totally correct. Just overclocked my asus g73jh panel B173HW01 V4 (AUO149D) to 106hz. This is on LVDS 2ch (edp 40-pin supposedly?) Max pixel clock 228.3Mhz. 60hz 1080p needs min of 142.40Mhz (or so depending on timing settings) so generally if a laptop even pre 2013 came with 1080p panel it will be 2ch. So in practice we can say 112*2=224Mhz max pixel clock for most laptops with 1080p panels, and you can run out of spec by 1-2%.

7. forlornz

forlornz Newbie

Reputations:
    i got the same panel with predator helios 300 2019, i tried ur custom timings and it worked great on the 155hz, isnt there any way to have it work on 165hz? it keeps on skipping frame