PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Roy Huizing

Roy Huizing Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! Managed to overclock my monitor (1080p 60hz 17.3") on the MSI Ge72 2QC to 100hz stable with timings.Thanks !!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. JLIspace

JLIspace Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I was able to "overclock" my Surface Pro 4's internal screen to (only) 69Hz . Going any higher unfortunately results in a black screen.
    At least it feels a little bit better than 60Hz :]

Device: Surface Pro 4, 265GB SSD, i5-6300U, HD-520 (newest intel drivers, NOT the one provided by windows update -> control panel available despite it being a surface device)

(The display is already the 'new' screen/after flickergate 'repair'.)

Vasudev likes this.
  3. The Underdog

The Underdog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've overclocked my 4k Samsung ltn156fl02-101 to 64 Hz with the really basic CRU instructions. Literally just copied the default settings into a new entry and changed it to 64. Seems ok in testufo in terms of frame skipping and with videos.

Has anyone had more recent success with 4k screens? The entries I've seen seem to be limited to around ~65 Hz before saturation/instability.

It's a g-sync panel, so I guess my next step is to see what happens when g-sync interferes.

Thank you to ToastyX for keeping this alive.

4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    REALLY? Not a single reliable report all over the internet? Welp, that's an achievement because you can find unimaginable things in it's corners. Like this report (what a coincidence, by guy with my nick name) in about such a deep corner as CRU topic on monitortests forum itself. I mean, maybe this... what is he calling himself... Jimmy... James D or whatever... maybe he is just lying to become 'The Only on Internet' who posted about a damage to a monitor... Nope, there are even posted pics about that damage so seems legit.
    Let me go to the first mirror and ask him nicely whether he is a reliable source...

Now, all sad jokes aside, it is an overstretch to post such a bold statement as 'damage is impossible on modern monitor'. It is possible, even if it's low chance.
    Long story short: it ended up with unrecoverable damage in a form of vertical line which appeared again and never disappeared. I still overclock on another laptop's monitor though but I know the risks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Vasudev and t456 like this.
  5. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The 'results' section is trivial to update but I haven't done it in a while.
    Maybe a good solution is making a community spreadsheet that people can add to publicly without needing to post here. Then it could be shared on other sites too and become a useful reference for people who are buying a laptop. Then again we would have to trust people wont grief it...

Ok, that looks like a problem. Judging by your post history over there this was a MSI GT780R (2011), but you switched the nv gpu for a radeon and directly flashed the EDID a couple times. If I understand correctly, it looks like you were originally having instability/color tinting at ~96 Hz depending on the GPU or profile, seemed to figure it out after installing the radeon, and then used the 96Hz (100Hz?) mode until the lines appeared. Then you say they disappeared after using the color flashing tool.

I'm assuming you switched to a more conservative profile when you tried to fix it, then decided to test again and ended up with permanent damage.
    Either way that is beyond the scope of what I'm talking about.

I had a dell 7559 with an LG panel that overclocked from 60 to around ~100 and experienced a similar thing. Had a purple horizontal line at the very bottom of the display. It went away after I backed off the profile, but not immediately. I'm sure if I had stuck with that profile longer or went even more aggressive it would have been permanent.

The point is not that damage is impossible, it's that damage is unlikely if you are careful (which is what I recommend in the first post, geared for beginners!).
    I think the fact that your post was so hard to find (buried in page 216 of a thread nearly 400 pages long) speaks to how resilient panel hardware is.
    Of course being too aggressive with the EDID values (esp after swapping out the display chain LOL) is one way to cause damage. I'm sure if you plugged a random number generator into CRU and let that sit for an hour your display would be borked too.

0lok and Vasudev like this.
  6. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Long story short: I tried to overclock monitor and it damaged. I did flash it istead of using windows hook method but what it changes? Don't see it out of the scope.
    >Judging by your post history over there this was a MSI GT780R (2011), but you switched the nv gpu for a radeon and directly flashed the EDID a couple times.
    Yes.
    >If I understand correctly, it looks like you were originally having instability/color tinting at ~96 Hz depending on the GPU or profile, seemed to figure it out after installing the radeon, and then used the 96Hz (100Hz?) mode until the lines appeared.
    Yes, but GPU had nothing to do with it aside that had to use CRU for 60+Hz with AMD card. Color tinting was on AMD on videos until switched from standard to reduced timings.
    > Then you say they disappeared after using the color flashing tool. I'm assuming you switched to a more conservative profile when you tried to fix it, then decided to test again and ended up with permanent damage.
    I switched to default immediately, 2 days before ColorFlashingTool but fix didn't last long. I used 72 Hz and problem came back few days after and then nothing helped.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. Lirkun

Lirkun Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. Tried to overclock my panel and couldn't get even 61hz. I used 1920*1080 + any Hz. Always just a black screen, not even artifacts or flickering.
    It is 4k AUO109B.
    I'm using latest intel driver (22.20.16.4749) i7-6700hq HD530 (or I should use only drivers from this post ?)
    CRU works fine I have resolution in list, tried different settings.
    Pixel clock is much lower than at standart 4k 60hz.
    May be I'm doing smth wrong, or it's just can't be overclocked ?
    Used to overclock ext monitor, old TN panel and it worked fine (with Nvidia panel).

ps: I understood the problem. You can only add the resolution in native resolution (I mean you can't add 1920 if you have 4k panel, because it reads all resolutions as 4k signal, or smth like that). All I could get is 64 fps. At higher numbers flickering and black screen.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  8. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @margroloc Got any update on which latest intel graphic driver is compatible with his software? I haven't updated my driver and is still on Intel HD Graphic 530 Driver version 25.20.100.6373. Thanks in advanced.

9. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Medion Erazer X7849 / Clevo P670RS-G
    Panel: LG Philips LGD046C

Manged to OC it from 60HZ to 96HZ with manual timings on MSHybrid mode. On discrete mode, I can get it to 100HZ

t456 likes this.
  10. ayerly

ayerly Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there !

I have an interesting problem that I'm sharing here, and if someone had a clue about how to solve it, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Okay, I currently have a MSI GP73 Leopard Laptop with a very nice screen panel (the legendary Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 120hz@FHD). I also have an external monitor (2nd screen), a mfkin crappy Philips 244EL (panel PHLC06C) said to be capped 1080p@60hz

- I managed to overclock the Philips 244EL to 2560x1440 at 74hz using the custom resolution under nvidia. "It just works".
    - I wanted to do the same, aka getting my laptop panel to 2560x1440 @ 60hz.

Here comes the interesting thing. I tried a few parameters using CRU, and I can't get the 2560x1440 @ 60hz (I didn't even try higher refresh rate) working on my laptop - even if pixelclock is around the same of FHD@120hz.

But when I plug in the philips 244EL and ask windows to duplicate the screen (not the extended mode), the laptop resolution switchs to WQHD resolution aswell, in 60hz, though. Windows says then my laptop has WQHD res, Intel Graphic Panel says it is also in WQHD. Image on screen is perfectly fine, no artifacts, no frameskipping (did the testufo frame test).

When I switch to extended mode, laptop screen turns back to FHD resolution (and win+Intel Panel says its in 1080p), while the external monitor stays in wqhd.

I know my laptop can handle the wqhd res cuz of duplicate mode working, but I can't get it working (when the external monitor isn't plugged in) with CRU. It just shows an image that is totally desynched from the screen as if it was wrongly interlaced.

Any ideas, any settings i could try ? especially @t456 ? Thanks a lot.