PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's a physical / engineered limitation of that panel or driver electronics. If a software adjustment stops behaving over a certain setting, it's a hardware limitation.

2. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, where can I find a better screen then?

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, the rated screen hz is going to be 60hz, they aren't going to publish an "OC" hz rating too. :)

I suppose you could find a higher HZ 15" display, but then IDK if the driver hardware will support much higher either - it might be a limiting factor too.

If the original laptop hardware comes with an optional faster refresh screen(s), like a 120hz or 144hz option, then you could research what model's have those screen's and try to swap one in.

But, that assumes the driver hardware on the motherboard / display board in your laptop will support those displays - quite often the interface board is matched to the display, so you'd need to find one of those too.

It would make more sense to return what you have if you are unsatisfied with it and look for a model with the higher refresh display included, and buy that instead.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  4. fray_bentos

fray_bentos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Success: Dell Inspiron 7537 with SDC4C48 screen, 15.6" TN 1080p 60 Hz went up to 85 Hz with ease (copying over the pixel timings from the pre-existing resolution in CRU). Confirmed working with the 15.40.32.64.4568 (20.19.15.4568) driver. Intel display power saving options / auto-refresh all needed to be disabled and set to high performance, as artifacts were seen otherwise when running on battery. 90 Hz and 95 Hz also appeared work and passed the UFO test frame skip test, but I noticed occasional stuttering when scrolling some web-pages, so I dropped back to 85 Hz, which seems much smoother to me. Possible room for further improvement by tweaking.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. Ing_Imperator

Ing_Imperator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The artifacts on battery are because of PSR (Panel Self Refresh).
    You dont Need to turn off all battery saving Settings. only this one.

fray_bentos likes this.
  6. TnF

TnF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HP Zbook 17 G5 here with 1080p@60hz, overclocked without dropping frames to 103hz with original timings, and 105hz with custom timings. Limit it seems to be the eDP interface and the 2 lanes available on the monitor panel itself limiting you to 240mhz any not a single mhz more. LGD059E panel. Custom timings all original but reduced back porch vertical from 23->10lines. You can reduce it to 1 and it will be stable but it won't allow you to get to 106hz stable. I've talked much with the creator of CRU in their official forums, and even tried other methods like setting discrete only gpu (remind you normally this is under intel 630 integrated graphics) but again 240mhz limit. Also there is no pixel clock patcher for DP interface so only way to get more refresh rate is to decrease the resolution.

7. Mewthree

Mewthree Newbie

Reputations:
    I've installed both latest drivers for my nvidia and intel gpus. When I change my settings in CRU I don't see new refresh rates in the list on windows.
    4700mq, 740m. Any guesses why? Since i wasn't even was able to overclock to 63hz I'm guessing there is something wrong in the process.
    MSI CX61 is my laptop.

8. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just want to say Thank you very much. I did my OC and it is very successful.
    Alienware 17 R3 (17", 1080p, Skylake i7 6700HQ) LGD0459 60Hz -> 95Hz [LCD-Standard timings] -> No Frame Skipping but has Artifacts at 96Hz.
    Intel HD Graphics 530 -> Driver Version 25.20.100.6373

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. Alexscemo

Alexscemo Newbie

Reputations:
    Msi Gv72 7rd here, achived 103.852 hz with 239.99 Mhz pixel clock.
    Monitor: CMN1735
    Custom timings

10. yessuz

yessuz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 - i5 with GTX1050 (non ti)
    BOE0690 TN panel (straight from the factory)
    Using latest Intel video driver from Dell's website: 22.20.16.4836 (17/10/2017)

Managed to get stable 85 hz with default timings
    90hz already produce colour artefacts.

VERY satisfied. :D:cool:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019