PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you tried 65 and 75Hz w/o screen blackout?

2. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Newbie

Reputations:
    Not without the blackout

If I add a profile for 65 or 75hz with "LCD Reduced" in CRU, the screen blacks out once the are selected in the display settings.

Are there other settings in "Manual" mode I could tweak to boost the achievable refresh rate?

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I just use manual.

4. reishi

reishi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    K, I was finally able to get the credentials reset on my old account. Not that it matters much but it was bothering me having 2 accounts to the same forum

But to update on the monitors:

The LP156WF6 on the Sager seems to be capped at 63 regardless of how much I tweak the other variables. Looking around online, there seems to be a significant portion of people with that screen who can't get passed the 63Hz mark. I'm not sure if there is a lock on it somewhere or if they are just so precise in their manufacturing process that there is that much commonality between products of the same model.

I hope there is a lock and that someone knows a work around because I would sure like to take it into at least the mid-70s for the reason below.

Once I got back to the house and started playing with my desktop monitors I was able to hit 80Hz on Acer R240HY and the difference between playing something at 60Hz and replaying the same area at 80Hz is absolutely noticeable. Even doing random things on the desktop feel smoother and I had no complaints with the Acer monitor at 60Hz

So experiencing that really makes me wish I could get more out of the screen on this NP8157

The Dell P2217H that I use as my extension monitor on the desktop was able to clock to 69Hz. It initially tried to hold 70 but all of the colors seemed washed out

But anyway, I don't know how I've avoided using higher refresh rate monitors up to this point but now that I have experienced 80Hz, I damn sure don't want to go back to 60Hz

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, I have an Dell 7577 notebook with eDP 30 pin connector. Installed a FHD 120Hz panel and its okay. However CRU said my bandwidth is 285MHz which is above eDP spec? Can you guys confirm it? Also can I overclock the panel above 120 like 144, assume my panel can handle it?

6. fray_bentos

fray_bentos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Semi-success: Dell XPS 15 9570 with SHP149A screen. 15.6" IPS @ 1080p went from 60 Hz to 68 Hz. Initially, I manually copied over all the numbers in the parameters box in CRU from the pre-existing 60 Hz 1080p entry into my custom resolutions to get to 67 Hz. After that I got 68 Hz by reducing total vertical lines to 1130. I'm happy with this modest result as it still makes gameplay noticeably smoother (I'm used to gaming at 100-165 Hz on my desktop PC).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. Ing_Imperator

Ing_Imperator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a very very strange Problem with my Display OC.

It is NOT a Problem specific to my Laptop or specific to my screen.
    I have Samsung LTN156HL06-C01 OC to 90Hz, but it happened to Samsung LTN156HL01-104 too.
    I had MSI GE60-2PE but i have Clevo N957TP6 now, same Problem with both.

So Laptops are not the Problem, but Maybe a Samsung screen Problem?

Description of the Problem:
    I can run my 90Hz overclock just fine for days of Surfing the web or gaming. But if i start to watch some YouTube Videos in Edge in Fullscreen, the screen may Freeze und start slowly to fade to Grey or black, like an lcd that got the power cut off (old Gameboy screen for example). The Laptop is still running, i can still Change brightness or listen to Music, but i cant see anything on the screen anymore. I close the lid to go into Sleep mode and when i wake it up again, everything is fine.

It is ONLY when watching Videos in Edge browser, i cannot understand it...

8. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572.
    Display:AUO61ED 1080p 60Hz built-in display.
    Driver version:25.20.100.6471 (12/2018).

So using CRU I was able to overclock it to 65Hz without any weird glitches or artifacts but there is something not as noticeable but...
    I can see lines of pixels somewhat clearly.
    Is it normal?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Most / many? 15" screens don't OC more than a few HZ over 60, with 63hz being the typically highest stable / usable OC.

The 17"/18" screens for the most part will OC into the mid 90hz range, with many stable at 100hz, some reporting as high as 110hz.

Mr.K-1994 likes this.
  10. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I do anything about it?
    65hz already exhibits the aforementioned issue.
    Driver mods or older driver versions?
    Anything.

hmscott likes this.