PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Pantsu_Samurai

Pantsu_Samurai Newbie

Reputations:
    Any guide for Coffee Lake user?

2. Dukatti

Dukatti Newbie

Reputations:
    I am using it continuously about 3 monthes. Very much happy with a results.
    Successfully overclocked up to 108hz on ASUS N550JV Haswell, HD4600 + GT750m
    108Hz is a maximum, with an effective color workspace - about very low 1200K, or about very high 9300K [by using f.lux or similar]
    Lower Hz amount allows more color temperature range.

Pros of using it:
    1) UI, all apps are responding faster allowing over100 tabs in over100 browsers with smooth scrolling [win7]
    2) Faster button response, easier to play in lots of games where reaction, framedata matters.
    3) In games where it's possible to change game speed above 60fps [for instance 108fps in console emulators] gameplay is incredibly smooth

Notes:
    1) higher then 60fps smoothness appear with a little blur
    [I still very like sharp 100fps on old crt monitors with ability to see extra details]
    2) very demanding games lagging\caching on a new stages\worlds for a first few seconds. Once it's done - stage changes become flawless similar to default 60hz
    3) avoid fullscreen white images on color temperature close to 6500K [default]
    4) high 9300K is very much effective for color-sensitive work

Artefacts that appearing in close to 6500K on white fullscreen images are:
    1) flickering [painful, looks a lot like ~60hz crt]
    2) hard crt shader effect [hard to read, to watch]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. blub123123

blub123123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Display: LGD04A7
    Laptop: Lenovo Y700

Only 62HZ shows up at 1920x1080 with default or automatic timings. (The default timings seem to be the "LCD Reduced" automatic timings.)
    Higher refresh rates show up with lower resolutions, but result in a black screen.

Any help? Are there any custom timings I could try?

4. Ing_Imperator

Ing_Imperator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same as the others, simplay use CRU

5. Ing_Imperator

Ing_Imperator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New Results :)
    First of, i think it's ONLY dependent on the Display, the cpu an Laptop model is not important, as Long as you can choose the Resolution in Intel Control Panel after creating it with CRU (Thinkpads seem to block this)

FAIL: Clevo N957TP6 (i5-8600 Desktop CPU, GTX1060...) LG LP156WF9-SPP2. Screen stays black over 65Hz
    Success: Same Laptop: Clevo N957TP6 (i5-8600 Desktop CPU, GTX1060...) Samsung LTN156HL01-C06 90Hz+ without Problems, as Always a faint darker in every odd Pixel line.

6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Well, since third gen 9(Ivy bridge) graphics don't support this method and I can't use PEG mode (Optimus only). I went ahead and had my friend help me flash my EDID in Linux. My laptop now has 85hz available everywhere.

I used CRU to add the resolutions, then exported the EDID and flashed it in Linux using edid-rw. My friend is lazy and won't make a tutorial sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

margroloc and Vasudev like this.
  7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Nice, and very good to know that that still works on modern cards. That panel is quite an odd one, btw ...

For flashing edids you could use my guide or Mr. Fox's from the '8 beep bricking thread'; it's the same tools, except for a different goal.

Just be careful when using AW Edid Editor when making the custom edid. This program always writes a 256-byte edid, even if the original is 128 bytes. The tools can write both, but you don't want to write 256-bytes to a 128 byte lcd if they've used the next bit for non-edid firmware data.

Vasudev and ssj92 like this.
  8. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Newbie

Reputations:
    Mild success on Sager NP8157 with LG Philips LP156WF6 using custom resolution in NV Control center. Went from 60 to 63 so 5% for free. Better than nothing I reckon but anything higher than 63 just blacks out regardless of whether I used reduced clocks or stock in CRU.

5% isn't really noticeable but I love tweaking so I am pleased with the increase.

An old ACER H233H that I am using as my extended monitor went from 60 to 74Hz which was much more noticeable but that panel is so old and washed out that getting it to 120Hz wouldn't have made me salivate, necessarily, as it just acts as an overflow for my web browser and word documents.

I am looking forward to trying this trick out on my desktop setup when I get back to the house, as well.

I would be interested in replacing the laptop's screen if anyone can recommend a good one with higher refresh rates. Looking around on google, I am just finding generic panels that don't have much info listed. If someone could recommend a specific model and possibly a vendor I would be mighty appreciative.

I'm in the middle of a pretty large graduate project right now so it's not something I would be comfortable doing just yet but I'll have a month to kill once this is over in a few weeks and am definitely interested in upgrading the screen.

I bought this laptop used so I didn't get to pick any of the options when I purchased it. It just came "as is"

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think you can do better using CRU at 75Hz. I have same panel with different subversion.

10. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Newbie

Reputations:
    Unless I am missing something, when I add a 75Hz option in CRU and restart, selecting 75Hz from the advanced display options just blacks out the screen.

If there is something I can tweak within CRU to achieve 75Hz on this panel I would be more than appreciative for help