PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. HITTI

HITTI Newbie

Reputations:
    So a friend from another site directed me to this link page.

Highest i can get is 66Hz on this laptop.

Acer predator g9 591. 15"

Anything higher goes to black screen and returns after the 15 second thing.

Guess 6hz is better than nothing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Talon likes this.
  2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would take the 6Hz over nothing :) Did you try to use reduced timings option in CRU? Also manually tweaking them usually allows for a few extra Hz.

jaug1337 likes this.
  3. HITTI

HITTI Newbie

Reputations:
    I dunno how to do any of that stuff.

4. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for reporting this, seems that panel is a very good overclocker. Added your results and others to first post.

Thanks for reporting, I really have no idea how eDP works. It seems impossible to tell what eDP version a laptop is using except maybe by looking up the panel and hoping for a datasheet? Updated the main thread with your info.

I rearranged and rewrote the main post with better information about how to set everything up.
    Short version below

http://s7.postimg.org/hyw0q7p8b/step_2.png

All you want to do is choose 'Automatic LCD Reduced' from the drop down box. This changes all the numbers in the middle of the screen (aka the timing values) so you end up with a lower 'pixel clock'. Both the changed timing values and lower pixel clock can potentially help with stability - so after you change the timing preset to 'LCD Reduced' then try entering a slightly higher refresh rate down at the bottom of the box, click OK and confirm the changes in the CRU app, reboot your computer, and test it.

By manually tweaking Talon means changing the timing numbers in the middle (like vertical/horizontal back porch, etc) by yourself, rather than using the 'LCD Reduced' preset and see if that helps you get better stability. Manually tweaking those values means literally picking one at random and reducing it by 1 or a few and retesting... No science or reason to it at all. At least that's what I did to go from 100 to 104hz. Here's another screenshot for you, which is also in the main thread: http://s7.postimg.org/lc9ba1p4r/manual_timings_info.png

Manually tweaking the timings instead of picking a preset might help you (it helped me get from 103hz to 104hz). You could try tweaking the 'LCD Reduced' preset timings for example, or tweak the timings that the laptop panel came with (which is what worked for me) - all up to you.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. HITTI

HITTI Newbie

Reputations:
    "'Automatic LCD Reduced'" got me to 67Hz from 66Hz.
    Thanks!

I wont mess with the manual settings as I have no idea what I would be actually doing even though explained.

6. Kohara Kun

Kohara Kun Newbie

Reputations:
    Been a long time lurker on this website but had just registered to report in.
    ASUS GL753VE - LG Panel LP173WF4_SPF3 - 17.3 inch 1080p IPS
    Just tried and got stable 95hz overclock, will be testing to get better results though.

EDIT:
    Alright, 103 seems stable (104 won't show up in control panel), this is with default timings, no extra adjustments needed yet, but this is right at the 238mhz pixel clock, so this is at the limit of my monitor (although I have a feeling it can go higher if this weren't the limit)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    margroloc likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    My CMN1343 panel is lousy. Anything above 62 Hz and I get horizontal black lines across the display.

margroloc likes this.
  8. Kohara Kun

Kohara Kun Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright... A heads up:
    I've overclocked many desktop monitors now, but this is probably also applicable to laptop (since the 1st laptop display I OC'd, the GL753, also has this issue).

if you're doing color critical work, overclocking normally screws up your gamma curve (usually increasing the gamma, making image darker), messing up your calibration. This can also be a major deal breaker in gaming where it makes your image darker, harder to see. This behavior is not consistent between monitors, so your mileage may vary.

You could either revert back to your original refresh rate when doing color related work, for gaming it's probably okay for most of the time (unless you want everything to be perfect like me), or recalibrate using the new refresh rate (which is what I did).

9. Elruflon22

Elruflon22 Newbie

Reputations:
    Had my MSI GL62M 7RD's monitor (CNM15D2) at 63hz for now (with Automatic - LCD Reduced). Started getting artifacts at 65hz and above but I think I just need to tweak it a bit more.

Will there even be a difference in game with 63hz?

10. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, didn't consider that. Added to main thread.

Instead of using CRU's LCD-Reduced or default timings, have you tried using the default timings that came with your laptop?
    In my case LCD-Reduced timings always resulted in artifacting but my laptop panel's default timings got me to 103hz without any other adjustments.

63hz is not a massive difference but you might still notice, probably most clearly when moving the mouse around quickly.
    It might seem disappointing but if I were you I'd still take that overclock instead of 60hz since the 5% boost in frames displayed/second is better than nothing. If you want, you can use 60hz on the desktop but choose 63hz in the settings of games.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017