PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Megacharge

Megacharge Custom User Title

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that.

2. SkyArrow

SkyArrow Newbie

Reputations:
    Managed to reach 64 Hz on a 4K/UHD XPS 15 9550 with a SHP143E panel. I mean, it is an improvement but it's so slight that it's unnoticeable. I suppose this barely counts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

margroloc and Vasudev like this.
  3. syphonz

syphonz Newbie

Reputations:
    has anyone tried overclocking the monitor on the asus rog gl502vm 15.6 ?? cpu is i5-7300hq with nvidia gtx1060 6gbvram

4. pandadrago

pandadrago Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I am having trouble doing this at all. I updated my intel hd630 to the lastest drivers. I have a Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop. After updating, I could manually set the refresh rate to 75 hz on the intel graphics control panel but it would just be black and revert back to 60hz. I tried doing the CRU route, but all I got was black screen and a revert. I am lost in terms of what to do. I saw that someone else was able to overclock to 100hz with the same computer so I confused.

5. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2018-6-28_13-58-18.png

Update: (Well not really an update, since I never posted my previous results here but anyway)

OCed my laptop IPS monitor connected with presumably eDP 2 lane (Model no. in description) to 74Hz. To be noted: Anything in the Detailed resolutions above 63Hz wouldn't work, giving me artefacts for half a second and going blank with only the backlight on. Only the resolutions in the standard resolutions would work, as I learnt today.
    upload_2018-6-28_13-59-44.png

I could go higher, but anything above 72Hz, it seems, image quality drops significantly. So I ended up with 74Hz. No frame skipping either (100 ISO on phone camera).

Running on 23.20.16.4849 driver from 27/10/2017. Have no intention of updating the drivers because it is of little use to me. @margroloc

The image quality on 74hz is noticeably lower but bearable. Apart from calibrating the display in windows (adjusting that vertical gamma slider) is there anything else I could do to improve image quality and thus increase my overclock?

I've heard LCD screens overclock better than IPS panels, so I might try to overclock my old laptop's 1366x768 screen. Unfortunately, it might be on 1 lane eDP so its restricted to 165MHz

margroloc and Vasudev like this.
  6. Jaredchicken

Jaredchicken Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I tried this on my Acer Aspire 7 https://www.box.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html
    (There are the specs and where I bought it from)
    I set the refresh rate up to 75HZ, restarted and the screen isn’t rendering at all. I can’t figure out how to undo the changes I made, I tried resetting my laptop to a previous save point but I don’t have one as I haven’t had the laptop for very long. Please help me!

7. plummms

plummms Newbie

Reputations:
    Success:
    from 60Hz to 94.000 Hz

Alienware 13 R3, i7-7700HQ, GTX1060
    IPS 1080p display (CMN1371 Generic PnP Monitor)
    manual timing, copy-pasted from default timings
    pixel clock at 239.42 MHz, will not go any higher

8. Ing_Imperator

Ing_Imperator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Success:
    from 60Hz to 96Hz with LCD Standard/Native
    Dont see any Frame skips while Scrolling (i am really sensitive to dropped Frames)

MSI GE60 2PE Apache Pro, i7-4710HQ, GTX860M over Optimus
    15,6" IPS 1080p Samsung SDC324C (i can look up the real Display Name if you want, have to open up the Frame)

But: Climbing up over 80hz, the Display will start to Show faint lines on dark gray. It Looks like every second line is a Little bit darker. But it does not really bothers me, the Picture from a normal viewing distance is still fine.

hmscott, margroloc and Vasudev like this.
  9. Ing_Imperator

Reputations:

I have exactly the same Problem with my ThinkPad X240, same CPU. I have other Laptops with this method working, so i know how to do it.
    I think Lenovo is Blocking those custom resolutions, as they also have a Display whitelist in those machines. Could not solve it, the new refresh rates never appeared in the Intel oder Windows Panel

EDIT: I think i will try to interchange the Displays between Notebooks, i want to know if it is only a Display Limitation or if the Notebook is also decisive

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Ing_Imperator

Reputations:
    I've tested more:

First, it seems that it only depends on the Display itself, the Laptop and it's CPU seem to be negligible.
    Second, i would only see a "Success" at 80Hz+, everything less is not so interesting for me personally. But you can edit the Opening post like you want, if you want to use my Information.

So i used an Acer Nitro 5 with kaby like i5 7300HQ and switched the Displays:
    FAIL: Stock BOE NV156FHM-N42 V8.0 is crap, could not do 70Hz.
    SUCCESS: Samsung LTN156HL06-C01 (one on the few, if not the ONLY Glossy Antireflective coated Panel out there!!) goes up to 96Hz, like my previous tested LTN156HL01 (Post #178)
    As in the other Samsung Panel, some very faint lines appear in Grey Areas, but it does not disturb at all, its almost not visible.

Other Laptops i've tested:

FAIL: Samsung Notebook 9 (NP900X3L Skylake Ultrabook) Samsung LTN133HL01-801 (also one of the few glossy antireflective Panels, only in 13,3" instead of 15,6"), could only do 70Hz
    FAIL: Acer Swift 5 (Kabylake Ultrabook) with 14" AUO-Display, will look up the exakt model numbar also. Only goes up to 65Hz.

I only use "LCD Native" Timings.

I hope i could help :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Vasudev and margroloc like this.