PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Anyone with a 3rd gen CPU (HD 4000) optimus setup get around this?

[​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  2. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've always wanted to see what the fuss was about playing games over 60 fps. So I took my Dell Inspiron 7567 with the easily OC'd AUO63ED panel and overclocked it to 90Hz. In Skyrim and Fallout 4 the extra smoothness is noticeable and aiming is a bit easier, but I'm not sure I'd pay a premium for a high-refresh panel. But, hey 90fps gaming for free is worth it.

margroloc likes this.
  3. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From the Drivers section in the first post:

If you are running ivy bridge (or bay trail) or older, sorry: intel doesn't care and has ended support. Your best option is to try these workarounds which have not been independently confirmed.
    • This post by jaug1337 describes a method to launch intel's custom resolution tool on driver version 4653, which is the last version available for ivy bridge generation graphics. This method does not work on Windows 8.1 because the 'custommodeapp.exe' is incompatible with the OS and will refuse to open.
    • This video on Youtube: Pk0i2XJZQ7w uses some tricks to show custom refresh rates in the user interface, but it's unclear whether this method actually overclocks the display or just changes the numbers on the screen.
    • On some drivers, you may still be able to overclock external monitors via CRU (source), not tested though.
    In short, you're probably out of luck thanks to Intel discontinuing support...

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Walker8711

Walker8711 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm trying to overclock my ASUS GL752 with a CMN1735. It's a i7-6700HQ with a GTX960. My Intel Driver version is 21.20.16.4550. I've tried many times to add custom resolutions using CRU and nothing seems to come up in my intel control panel. I've tried various timings, HZ, while restarting each time and nothing will show up.

*EDIT - Does not work with new drivers, you must download the release one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  5. AdnanS

AdnanS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used the Custom Resolution Utility to overclock my Lenovo Y50 Screen to 90Hz, after a crash I now see a pink screen with pixels overlapping. Did i mess up my screen by any chance or is there a setting that I need to reset. Has anyone seen anything like this?

The image of the issue:
    https://imgur.com/a/b63c3Bc

[​IMG]

6. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Funny, mine OC'd just fine with default Intel drivers. They're either the ones pre-loaded by Dell, or maybe Windows Update.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I get the same damn error when Intel said they fixed Custom res on iGPU driver for skylake. I used CRU to OC my disaplay from 60 to 75Hz.

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I don't think CRU supports 3rd gen optimus. Only 4th gen and newer.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Megacharge

Megacharge Custom User Title

Reputations:
    So were you able to fix your screen?

10. AdnanS

AdnanS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its still the same, it would seem that the burn in and ghosting is permanent. Looking to put an order for a new screen soon.