PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. stealthwiki

stealthwiki Newbie

Reputations:
    Please tell your settings or post pic of timings, thank you

2. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks all, main post is updated.
    Looks like the image host broke o_O

---------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte aero 15x v8
    Panel is 1080p 144Hz AUO82ED (NOT the LGD05C0 that notebookcheck found in their sample - not sure what is up there)

Overclocked to 155Hz, no frameskipping. Custom timings. Using the panel's default timings for 144hz at 155 does not work.
    [​IMG]

Also tried 156Hz with slightly different timings which works too. Didn't bother checking for frameskipping as thoroughly but I am pretty sure it is fine.
    [​IMG]

If you want to test this panel be careful, if pixel clock is too low for a given refresh rate it will frameskip noticeably. I think it is 40pin eDP (the previous gen was) but can't be 100% sure.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Orgil

Orgil Newbie

Reputations:
    my chimei(?) cmn15ca is crazy i7 4720hq can overclock to 80hz maybe ill try higher. so far no artifacts or frame skip xd
    now im waiting someone that can mod easily hd to full hd

margroloc likes this.
  4. Stephan_N

Stephan_N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would you mind linking me this panel? How would I go about overclocking the display? Do you know if this works for any 17.3 models? Thanks!

5. Orgil

Orgil Newbie

Reputations:
    i have some question
    when i get it to 95 hz or higher, i see pixelated apperance (hard to notice). how to fix it?

6. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    LG 15.6 inch panel can't OC well, very true, my Y520 can only get 62Hz (with reduced settings too), anything 63Hz or higher just don't show up no matter what settings

Vasudev likes this.
  7. niciuffo

niciuffo Newbie

Reputations:
    I read the whole thread but can't seem to manage to overclock my display.
    Notebook is a Lenovo Thinkpad T440s, with i5-4300U CPU and Intel HD graphics 4400, Windows 10 Pro build 1803.
    I tried with both the newest drivers (20.19.15.4963) and the recommended ones (20.19.15.4568), and both CRU 1.3.1 and 1.3.99-p1.
    I can't manage to make the custom refresh rate show up in the Intel Graphics panel or the Windows settings. I tried with varying values from 61 to 65 Hz, even 55 Hz, none show up.
    I tried installing the .INF monitor "driver" from Lenovo but that made no difference at all.
    Current CRU settings are as follows:
    [​IMG]

Intel settings:
    [​IMG]

I am completely out of ideas. Any of you got some?

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    After adding those custom refresh rates you need to click OK and reboot PC for it to work. May I know which driver you're using and your CPU too?

9. niciuffo

niciuffo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I did confirm the settings with the OK button, that is the window I see after the reboot.
    CPU is an i5-4300U and drivers currently installed are 20.19.15.4963 (but I also tried the older, tested ones).

Vasudev likes this.
  10. whiterose

whiterose Newbie

Reputations:
    Got it to work on a late 2015 model HP Envy 17t w/ a 17in AUO panel. IPS Matte display - if that matters.
    First tried on 75fps and that resulted in vertical lines. Dropped down to 72fps and seems to work. I definitely notice a difference when clicking start and seeing the start menu appear more smoothly.
    Thanks

margroloc likes this.