PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Sptz

Sptz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great post. Will deffo give this a go!

2. Rengiux

Rengiux Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i've tested several refresh rates and the maximum i got was 100Hz on a AUO105C 1366x768 using the LCD Reduced timing set, but the artifacting is a lot, you can't even see the desktop at all, but these were true 100Hz, best i got without artifacting a lot is 1366x768 70Hz LCD Reduced, you can see just a little of it on the left side of the screen, I am using a Intel Pentium N3700 (Braswell) with the 15.40.32.64.4568 (20.19.15.4568) driver version, and Windows 10. It's an Acer Aspire R3 11,6"

I have to ask the same thing most people ask, is this going to harm the monitor over use?

PS: I did an account just to reply this xD, I can confirm that overclocking works on Braswell. (and because looks interesting people getting mentioned by his goals on the OC xD)

EDIT: I forgot to mention this screen has the 120MHz limit

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    margroloc likes this.
  3. Fran Fernandez

Fran Fernandez Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. My overclock was fully working, I went from 60 hz to 96 hz on my msi ge62 2qd apache pro, but this morning I formatted and reinstalled windows 10 and overclock isn't working anymore, I can't even overclock to 65 or 70 hz. What the hell happened? Can anyone help me?

EDIT: I've just tried 61 hz and it doesn't work. wtf?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  4. skyFox90

skyFox90 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Someone try to overclock 4k panel of the tornado f5?

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Viseling

Viseling Newbie

Reputations:
    THIS IS WHAT FIXES EVERYTHING IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS INSTALLING. Thanks a bunch! :) But you really have to look for it.

margroloc likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's not possible simply because 4K/60 completely saturates the bandwidth of the DisplayPort 1.2 interface that the panel uses.

skyFox90 and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks to everyone that reported results, I updated the main post. Maybe a google spreadsheet eventually is a good idea.
    Sorry for people whose questions were missed, if you are having trouble feel free to post again here or maybe ask over in the official CRU thread.

Yes, as the other user said this has been tested and it does work.

It seemed like you were doing everything correctly, hope you figured it out.

Glad it worked for you!
    In case anyone else with a LGD04B9 finds this, the max overclock I managed to achieve was 104.200Hz with custom timings. https://s9.postimg.org/qqpa18sbz/screenshot_7.png
    Can't guarantee 100% stability for either of those settings since the left one seems to draw a white line on the right side of the every 0.000001% of the time. The right one should be fine since I've used it for at least a couple weeks but I wrote down last year that it didn't work so I dunno.

Thanks for confirming this works on braswell. I can say with some confidence that this shouldn't harm your display when done properly, but the artifacting is kind of concerning. I had an unstable overclock at one point that drew a purple line on the bottom of my screen and I just left it there for a while before switching my settings back. The purple line sort of burned into the display and gradually disappeared over the next couple hours. Maybe consider dropping the overclock? I

DDU your drivers, reinstall drivers directly from intel. Maybe download shutup10 and disallow windows from updating drivers. Try rebooting, grab the latest version of CRU for Win10 (1.3.1). Doublecheck pixel clock is below the limit. Reboot more. That's all I got lol.
    Edit: maybe also reset the edid profiles (go into CRU and click delete next to all the times your monitor shows up, or use reset.exe included with CRU.), then try overclocking agin. there, now that's all I got

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  8. JiDey247

JiDey247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

i'm still getting the "exceeds bandiwidth" error message while i'm running the last drivers.
    Even putting full hd at 30hz or 50hz says "exceeds bandiwidth". I don't get it.

I'm using a Gigabyte aero 15 X

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i got the same error...but you need to put the custom resolution into the custom resolution tool aka CRU program linked by the original poster.

from there make a custom resolution refresh rate and then reboot windows...open display adapter settings from desktop right click and load the refresh rate you created....

i tested 90 and it works...pretty rad

10. AutisticChris

AutisticChris Newbie

Reputations:
    Chance you could help me get a hold of one of these? I'd like to make something similar to this and at 120Hz it'd be amazing for a lan party in a bag:

Vasudev, ExMM and slimmolG like this.