PSA: You can now overclock your laptop monitor [intel/intel+optimus]

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by margroloc, Mar 4, 2017.

1. ConnorLS

ConnorLS Newbie

Reputations:
    Great, thanks - I think it was quite an ignorant question, but I'm not sure where the stupidity lies! Currently at 75Hz with no issues, still increasing incrementally. In terms of screen model, a quick google search says the only way to find out is to take the screen out and have a look at the label on the back, is this correct?

2. TheRealJohnp

TheRealJohnp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Device Manager --> Monitors --> Generic PNP Monitor --> Properties --> Details Tab --> Drop down menu select "hardware ids"

Should be there.

3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    CRU just got updated to 1.3.1

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

4. ConnorLS

ConnorLS Newbie

Reputations:
    BOE06B4, got it to 75 but found anything higher to be unstable with lines appearing across the screen. Thanks for your help!

5. TheRealJohnp

Reputations:
    For a 15.6 inch screen (they usually don't OC well) getting it to get 75 Hz is still pretty good. That's a 25% increase in refresh rate. And you're welcome.

Ionising_Radiation and ConnorLS like this.
  6. TheRealJohnp

Reputations:
    Dell Inspiron 7567 with the AUO63ED can reach 108Hz with Reduced timing and 96Hz with native timings. Could reach 110Hz with manual, will update when I do so.

This is the IPS FHD display and not the TN. There are two models of the IPS which is the AUO63ED and the LGD053F which comes randomly I believe though I purchased mine in a bestbuy store around the time I make this post. No frame skip or artifact or flicker. Perfect display with what seems like amazing colors (to me at least). It seems that AUO displays do very well.

The LGD053F is reported to not even OC to 65Hz, so if you can... try to find one with the AUO! Somebody suggested just opening the Laptop in store and looking at the device manager to see which model it is... not sure how that plays out.

Also to install the up to date Intel drivers on this system, what you need to do is first install the Dell Intel drivers from Dell (if not already installed). Then update it manually through device manager by directing it to the newly downloaded intel graphics zip file in the "graphics" folder. Hard to explain, easy to watch through youtube tutorial.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. Zedramus

Zedramus Newbie

Reputations:
    Can confirm, Dell Inspiron 7567 with the LGD053F, on 15.45.19.4678, the very best I could do is 65Hz, kind of bummed out I didn't get a model with the AUO63ED. Would have been nice to get close to 120hz without actually having to switch to a TN panel.

Speaking of, does anybody know the full model number of the AUO63ED panel? Wondering what the price difference is between that panel and a real 120hz TN panel.

EDIT:
    According to this post, the AUO63ED may be an AUO B156HAN06.3 or a similar variant.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  8. TheRealJohnp

Reputations:
    If you're from the UK/EU You can order a 120Hz panel that works with the dell for like 45 pounds. http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/shop/AU-OPTRONICS-AUO-B156HTN05.2-15.6-NOT-120HZ__183900.asp A user here did it and said it worked but you have to adjust brightness through software if you want to adjust it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. Chris S

Chris S Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone else found they cannot overclock it to the same limit in optimus mode rather than discrete?

Perhaps a pixel clock limit in the Intel driver?

10. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is it possible to downclock the monitor using this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk